CBB eating a lot but won't gain weight

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a CBB for about 5 months. He is about 4" now so a decent size. He never lost a lot of weight, but he is slightly pinched behind his head and narrower at the top than in the middle. He has been at about this weight for several months. I hand feed him from a turkey baster every morning and every night. He eats this way for about 10 minutes or so, and it keeps the other fish from outcompeting him pretty well. I feed him until he loses interest, and almost always has a bulging belly afterwards, especially if i suppliment with blackworms which i have been growing in a freshwater setup, but i don't want to deplete them by feeding all the time. I discovered this method maybe a month ago, before that it was kind of hit and miss but he has always eaten ok. But the last couple weeks i have been very dilligent in feeding him twice a day until he loses interest, and he does not seem to be gaining weight. I feed him a mix of frozen mysis and blood worms. Once, i have dosed the whole aquarium with prazi pro, and the last week or so i have been putting metroplex and focus in the food, thinking maybe an internal parasite is preventing weight gain. Is there anything else to try? Should i try dosing prazi again? or maybe the metro/focus doesn't soak into frozen food well enough? I do have a quarantine, and i did QT him in copper before introduction but not prazi. I'd prefer to keep him in the display if possible though because he seems to be happy and there are no behavioral issues between him and the tangs so i'd like to keep the momentum. Thanks in advance!

somethingfishyny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to follow and I'm very curious to see what everyone says.
Mine I've have for about 2 months and is a very aggressive eater. Literally anything I put in however mine isn't very thick and looks just like yours. And I'm not concerned with mine at all

somethingfishyny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about all the blue
20210414_210247.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed something better than mysis or frozen bloodworms. Pretty sure Paul B commented that mysis is mostly shell and he recommends fresh clams (buy live and freeze) and live worms (white or black). Whole prey foods. Mine also loves LRS which is great stuff, much better than mysis imo.

Mine is getting chunky off live black worms and LRS. She chases the yellow tang around!! :p

60A31858-4E93-45A6-87CD-905EEE6ED788.jpeg

F115219A-4422-4280-99FC-5E11D8D32E37.jpeg
C6D6DAE5-BF11-42FB-9C9B-7E6FC5D215E0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed something better than mysis or frozen bloodworms. Pretty sure Paul B commented that mysis is mostly shell and he recommends fresh clams (buy live and freeze) and live worms (white or black). Whole prey foods. Mine also loves LRS which is great stuff, much better than mysis imo.

Mine is getting chunky off live black worms and LRS. She chases the yellow tang around!! :p

60A31858-4E93-45A6-87CD-905EEE6ED788.jpeg

F115219A-4422-4280-99FC-5E11D8D32E37.jpeg
C6D6DAE5-BF11-42FB-9C9B-7E6FC5D215E0.jpeg
Took your advice and started feeding LRS. The copperband loves it and eats till it’s stomach is bulging like the one in your picture. It is for sure gaining weight now too. I also discovered I can put the lrs inside the copperband feeder I made so he gets all he wants without the others stealing it. Once he’s done and the food that’s out it floats out where everyone else can finish it off. Thanks for the advice!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took your advice and started feeding LRS. The copperband loves it and eats till it’s stomach is bulging like the one in your picture. It is for sure gaining weight now too. I also discovered I can put the lrs inside the copperband feeder I made so he gets all he wants without the others stealing it. Once he’s done and the food that’s out it floats out where everyone else can finish it off. Thanks for the advice!

Glad to hear it! That is how I feed mine LRS also... I put it in a plastic mesh net and she picks at it and the smaller pieces that fly out for the other fish to get :)

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my CBB the following:
* Live White worms (He must eat 20+ each feeding)
* LRS Reef Frenzy
* Live Clam (Frozen sliced than served)
* Mysis Shrimp

He is a fat & happy dude. Extremely aggressive eater who takes in as much as Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole tang & others.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. Update: turns out he goes nuts for LRS. I also figured out that I could make a new cap for my Copperband feeder with smaller holes and the tangs can’t get to it anymore. Of course they still crowd the feeder and eat scraps but the copperband gets to eat as much as he wants and I guess I just wasn’t sticking with it long enough because now he gorges himself, literally. He has gained a ton of weight in the last month.

EDAD3FD1-A3BA-4F0A-A7DA-396576582127.jpeg C3E30624-B633-420D-B688-A6A00FBD28AB.jpeg 76C2A021-31C1-41C2-9CBF-2B4763D85BD6.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back