CBB eating but acting strange

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so i got a new Copperband Butterfly Fish on 24th December. My initial concern was if he would eat however he eats frozen mysis really well and has been eating aptasia in my tank. Has bulked up a lot even in short time I’ve had him. However I have noticed white lumps on his fins (none on body) in last few days and he has been farting around tank. He also seems to be rubbing end of nose (not body) on rocks. Otherwise he seems super healthy and eating lots. I am wondering if the lumps are Lymphocystis which I believe to be fairly common in new CBB’s and I’m hoping a healthy diet will help him beat that. I usually QT fish but skipped this due to fragile reputation of CBB and now wondering if he has flukes? I have flukesolve (uk version of prazipro) so tempted to treat tank as a precaution as I hear it is reef safe, issue is I have a six line wrasse which I also hear don’t like prazipro. Anybody have any advice…would you recommend treating now or waiting? Really don’t want to lose this CBB as he eats so well which I know can be a problem. Thanks in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so i got a new Copperband Butterfly Fish on 24th December. My initial concern was if he would eat however he eats frozen mysis really well and has been eating aptasia in my tank. Has bulked up a lot even in short time I’ve had him. However I have noticed white lumps on his fins (none on body) in last few days and he has been farting around tank. He also seems to be rubbing end of nose (not body) on rocks. Otherwise he seems super healthy and eating lots. I am wondering if the lumps are Lymphocystis which I believe to be fairly common in new CBB’s and I’m hoping a healthy diet will help him beat that. I usually QT fish but skipped this due to fragile reputation of CBB and now wondering if he has flukes? I have flukesolve (uk version of prazipro) so tempted to treat tank as a precaution as I hear it is reef safe, issue is I have a six line wrasse which I also hear don’t like prazipro. Anybody have any advice…would you recommend treating now or waiting? Really don’t want to lose this CBB as he eats so well which I know can be a problem. Thanks in advance.

A clear picture would help, but with the spots being on the fins, it is very possibly Lymphocystis. CBB are prone to it.

I'm more concerned about the snout rubbing you are describing - a CBB with an injured snout will very often go off feed and you definitely don't wan that to happen. Is it running into things, or is it taking a sideways swipe with its snout?

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like lymphocytes - a picture would be nice:). Time and a healthy diet (as you said) - should help this.

Before getting into the fluke issue - here is my comment. In this hobby a lot of people go through the list of what things 'could be' - and then treat for every possibility. IMHO - if the fish is doing well - eating etc - I would do nothing more. My CBBs literally the first one to the food - they are very cool - hope this helps. Perhaps @Jay Hemdal can help

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A clear picture would help, but with the spots being on the fins, it is very possibly Lymphocystis. CBB are prone to it.

I'm more concerned about the snout rubbing you are describing - a CBB with an injured snout will very often go off feed and you definitely don't wan that to happen. Is it running into things, or is it taking a sideways swipe with its snout?

Jay
Never mind my cross posted post:)

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal thanks for the advice. I’ve attached a pic which hopefully shows the fins. There is a bit of a tear on one side fin. This has been there for a few days and has not got worse. There was initial aggression from a Yellow Tang and I put this down to a nip…aggression has stopped now. As for the snout, it slowly swims up to rock on side (could almost be looking for food) but then looks like it rubs off rock with snout. Definitely not swimming into rocks. Not sure if you can post vids on here but tried - had to out lights back on so couldn’t get good one of him rubbing snout but this is his general erratic behaviour, not sure if common for a CBB? . @MnFish1 thanks a lot MN, likewise I don’t like treating until I know what is wrong with fish…and because he is appearing healthy in every other way I am reluctant. Just REALLY want to succeed with this guy…he is so cool and an aptasia machine! Thanks guys!!

Attachments

• 987B9778-BC0D-4471-AD71-8B75A0D284E0.jpeg
    987B9778-BC0D-4471-AD71-8B75A0D284E0.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2048.MOV
    95.6 MB
OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS got a new baby at home so tank has been neglected recently (bubble algae and aptasia thriving, corals not so much)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal thanks for the advice. I’ve attached a pic which hopefully shows the fins. There is a bit of a tear on one side fin. This has been there for a few days and has not got worse. There was initial aggression from a Yellow Tang and I put this down to a nip…aggression has stopped now. As for the snout, it slowly swims up to rock on side (could almost be looking for food) but then looks like it rubs off rock with snout. Definitely not swimming into rocks. Not sure if you can post vids on here but tried - had to out lights back on so couldn’t get good one of him rubbing snout but this is his general erratic behaviour, not sure if common for a CBB? . @MnFish1 thanks a lot MN, likewise I don’t like treating until I know what is wrong with fish…and because he is appearing healthy in every other way I am reluctant. Just REALLY want to succeed with this guy…he is so cool and an aptasia machine! Thanks guys!!

Thanks for the video - very clearly the fish is flashing. The number one cause of that is flukes. I've never used Fluke Solve, but praziquantel is pretty much reef safe, as long as you add extra aeration. I would dose twice, 8 days apart, with a 25% water change in between.

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back