CBB in Qt

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post my so far unsuccessful QT with a CBB, to get some advice and potentially help someone in the future. I picked him up and put him in QT with a PBT and sailfin. Its a 40 gal. I made the mistake of dosing CP on day 1 before getting them to eat. The PBT and sailfin have been eating since day 1. It is now day 5. I have not actually seen the CBB eat anything. I started with frozen mysis. Then tried half shell clam, and mussles. He didn't eat that. For the past 2 days I have been adding live brine shrimp. I do not see him eat the brine but he gets very excited when I add them. He might be, but I cannot tell. I also blended clam, mussel, shrimp, and salmon into a paste and rubbed it on a small rock. He didn't have interest in that either. He doesn't look skinnier so that is a plus. I am trying to locate worms locally.

On a side note I noticed a red spot develop on his left side above his anal fin. I'm assuming bacterial infection. Tomorrow I will be starting Metroplex and Furan-2. I hope this will fix his not eating.

Wish me luck

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! If it makes you feel better, my CBB hasn't eaten for me either and I've had him for two weeks. He's not skinny at all, so I'm starting to think that he's absorbing nutrition by osmosis. lol (I'm just kidding about that part)

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I know that was a joke. I feel doomed if you cant get one to eat... Are you worried since its been that long?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I know that was a joke. I feel doomed if you cant get one to eat... Are you worried since its been that long?

I've been worried about him since day one. He's in the QT with an Achilles Tang and Regal Tang.... both of which are eating very well. He might be getting a bit of food when I'm not looking (they all hide and act like I'm about to kill them when I get near the tank), but I usually stand back across the room and watch for a while after feeding to observe their behavior and such. Ah well... I'll just keep on try'n.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picky eaters are extra picky when they are sick. Hopefully, treating the infection will help, and not suppress his appetite more :/ It worked for my regal angel, so don't give up quite yet! She didn't eat much for 3-4 weeks!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happen to the first CBB I had. On the 2nd day of QT I noticed the same thing (bacterial infection),died the next day. Mine was eating at first but the infection suppressed his appetite. I found a nice healthy one that was eating like a champ at the lfs the following week. The difference with this one is I started off with antibiotics from day one in QT. Made it through QT with no issues and 2 months later is doing great in the DT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died this morning. I believe the bacterial infection was the cause

Sorry for the loss. Unfortunately bacterial infections are difficult to diagnose in time to reverse them. There are two types as well: Gram negative which can kill faster than velvet in most cases; and Gram positive which move slower but are still deadly if left alone. Butterflies are just very prone to these and should be watched very carefully from the first day so you can catch the infection right at onset and treat asap.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, my fault partially. I started CP from day 1. Never got him eating first. Probably would have noticed the infection in those couple days

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, live blackworms are a GREAT tool
to get them eating. Perhaps as good or better than line brine but they'll both strong choices.

Sorry for your loss :(

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish like CBB who have a history of perishing in aquariums, it's my opinion to get them in a healthy environment right from the gate (I.e. in the DT). I find it hard to believe a difficult to keep fish is going to be better off in a bare QT with preemptive medication. That fish will be less likely to be comfortable versus an actual tank. Not to mention, a well matured tank will offer all kinds of live pods and worms that the CBB can eat as it gets acclimated.

If you are adamant to not add directly to DT, I'd at least put the fish in a solo tank and take some rock from the DT and put in there. Then keep the fish there for observation. At least it'll likely have a better chance of survival than a bare QT with other fish.

I think there is too much preemptive medicating. Just let the fish do it's thing and observe it a while. I'm sure others disagree and that's totally fine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish like CBB who have a history of perishing in aquariums, it's my opinion to get them in a healthy environment right from the gate (I.e. in the DT). I find it hard to believe a difficult to keep fish is going to be better off in a bare QT with preemptive medication. That fish will be less likely to be comfortable versus an actual tank. Not to mention, a well matured tank will offer all kinds of live pods and worms that the CBB can eat as it gets acclimated.

If you are adamant to not add directly to DT, I'd at least put the fish in a solo tank and take some rock from the DT and put in there. Then keep the fish there for observation. At least it'll likely have a better chance of survival than a bare QT with other fish.

I think there is too much preemptive medicating. Just let the fish do it's thing and observe it a while. I'm sure others disagree and that's totally fine.
I actually find they do much better by themselves in qt or with very calm and non assertive fish. Most people have established fish in the DT and they're easily stressed. We all know where I stand on prophylactically treating fish..

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lfs-fish-“treatment”-the-“sudden”-need-for-quarantine.308/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @4FordFamily, it's actually more stressful to NOT QT...you are dumping a recently shipped, stressed, weak/hungry, unestablished fish into a bull pen of healthy, established, territorial fish...and if you did not practice sound QT, very possibly parasites and unfamiliar bacterial strains. Then trying to get it to eat food it is not used to, in a crowd of competitive eaters.

I do agree with you though, whenever I QT a "difficult" fish, I usually add a chunk of LR, a bowl of sand (if needed), and lots of hiding holes. A quiet, well prepared QT is the perfect place to settle in an start eating... before medicating if possible (unless it is an emergency treatment).

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it with aggressive fish, went straight to medication, no outward signs to do so, no good hiding spots, few food options. Lessons learned

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it with aggressive fish, went straight to medication, no outward signs to do so, no good hiding spots, few food options. Lessons learned

Most of us learned the same way, don't be too hard on yourself.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us learned the same way, don't be too hard on yourself.

+1 I lost this beautiful Moorish Idol...
100_1904_zps90e8422e.jpg

Because I thought the aggression he was receiving from this Blue Angel would "work itself out"...
100_2004_zpsd2bcfbf2.jpg

Wife even pointed out (after the fact) that the Idol kept swimming around my hand, almost begging to be taken out of that tank. And still I did nothing. :( Point is, we all make mistakes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back