CDA 250 Build, my journey to success... hopefully

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a journey.. could this be the final iteration of my best? Maybe not but you just never know in this hobby. Just like many I've been enveloped in this hobby of reefing for the last few years , watching, reading, processing and applying all that I can. This is where it has led me and I couldn't be more excited.

For a few months I have been scouring around for some tanks, used, new, but mostly itching for new. I came across an ad from CDA , or Crystal Dynamics Aquarium. They had an outstanding sale plus a discount for picking up as I am local to them being about 30 mins from Oceanside CA. After speaking to the owner and after I was offered an even sweeter deal with the stand, I committed and the next following Monday it was sitting in my garage!

Fast forward about a week, I had one of my local fish store employees come over and help me and the wife bring it into my house and on the stand. (My temporary 75 gallon Mode in the background is housing all my corals and some of my livestock, and fortunately for me, one of my other lfs rent out large tanks and I was able to get all my larger livestock over to them for now.)
WILLTANK.jpg

The tank measures 72x36x22, double bottom panel with starboard reinforced bottom and top and a double top euro brace for even more strength. My previous tank was a 180 gallon and with my growth and my fish I had decided a deeper more open scape for this setup. I plan on barebottom since I have a ton of established rock from my previous setups and I want to crank up the flow. Ill be keeping my smaller 75 gallon running to house my sand friendly livestock to keep things diverse lol

This is my previous tank setup and although it was a great setup, the small things about it just always bothered me even from the day I set it up.
WILLTANK2.jpg

Still a lot in process as I need make the baffles for the 75 gallon aqueon tank. I need to build a new light fixture that will house my Kessil A360's and a T5 hybrid setup.

My list of gear includes
CDA 250
3 Red Sea Reef Wave 45's gyres
2 Nero 5 powerheads
Red Sea Reef Mat 1200
Red Sea RSK 600
5 Kessil A360's
Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5 Hybrid
DIY 75 gallon sump
Current USA 3280 Return pump
Aqua UV 57W sterilizer
Aquamaxx Carbon and GFO reactors
Red Sea 4 head doser dosing Red Sea Foundation supplements
And a bunch of various other equipment I am forgetting.

I'm Just waiting on some plumbing and various electrical components. But eager to share my experiences, good and bad to all you guys, Ill add photos as I go!
Thanks guys for checking things out!

OP
OP
helmsreef

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and attached the Modular Marine 24" overflow, thoroughly impressed with the build and finish and practically blends in into the back wall.
overflow4.jpg
overflow1.jpg
overflow3.jpg
overflow2.jpg

OP
OP
helmsreef

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got around today to printing some random flow generators for my returns
D983CCB3-D3C0-4709-B649-F3234F50C4B5.jpeg

816C3C2F-7589-4E47-AF0D-8B39037D79C4.jpeg

OP
OP
helmsreef

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together my diy 75 gallon sump, cut up some acrylic sheets and routed out a passthru. Still need to make a platform for my skimmer and Instead of just cutting some slots in the acrylic for the catch after the fuge, I printed some weir grates and glued them on .
willsump.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back