Ceaver's IM Nuvo Fusion 40 SPS Build/Grow out

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you still skimmerless? Just recently got a second hand 40 and trying to decide if it’s worth getting a skimmer or a algae scrubber.

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still skimmerless? Just recently got a second hand 40 and trying to decide if it’s worth getting a skimmer or a algae scrubber.
I am still skimmerless. Running a modest amount of pellet carbon in a little reactor, as per the Reef Moonshiner method. Things are going really well overall. I feed a lot, dose a little nitrate and phosphate to keep them in range, sps are coloring up nicely. I think one reason I am getting away with no skimmer is a large amount of live rock that has been going for 20 years straight and was actual real live rock (as it was back in the day).

Good luck with the new build! These little tanks are great!

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, it's been far too long since I've updated this. Good thing R2R and the vendors motivate us with giveaway entries! So here are some updates, hope to be doing more soon:

--Been on Reef Moonshiners for 7 or 8 months now. I think it has definitely helped nurse back some sickly acro frags and helped color up and reinvigorate some acros and montis. Things were really rolling along very nicely!

...which means something bad was overdue. I went out of town for almost 3 weeks. Had an autofeeder setup with pellets and my current flow situation seems to send them immediately into the overflow. For 3 weeks. My nitrates and phosphates were through the roof when I returned. Lost a few frags as a result, and one more as I tried to lower phosphates slowly. But I've been steadily acquiring frags over time so it was a small loss. And now I have invested in a feeding ring to contain the pellets until they sink. Really wish I had done that before I went out of town!

And now some pics, taken 7/23/22 :)

WWC Pantera Rosa and TGC Red Caddy 26E32D02-3C42-4483-8E57-191F34A123C8.jpeg

RR Rainbow Splice nub
5AA06656-66D6-4A2E-A4DC-8D043515A45D.jpeg

JF Homewrecker (it had some setbacks with TM Pro salt from turkey, recovering well now)
DF56FB6C-10C8-4D5A-8782-D74602FB2A73.jpeg

RR Starfire
3B9662D2-068B-4AF8-9DC4-082C2BC2DCB6.jpeg

Sapphire Milli (top) & WD (bottom)
BFD40FE9-69DE-44AE-9BB8-1B929E08063D.jpeg

CB Sin City
87C804A0-AE3C-4646-8548-3170413F178C.jpeg

RR Crazy T monti
85EC4AA2-F658-488C-B92A-937F4BE63917.jpeg

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Sorry to hear about the auto feeder.

Kind of a random Q, but is there a specific reason you have 5 smaller power heads vs 2-3 larger ones?

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Well I built up my collection of pumps over time, not all at once. I started with two Nero 3s, but that wasn't cutting it. The tank is cube shaped and it seems harder to get food flow all around a cube compared to a rectangular tank. Then one mp10, then eventually another. That's all, besides the return pump. I do have an mp40 on standby, if the corals ever get big enough to need it...

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a new chapter to my build thread will begin soon. I'm about to move my tank from Kalamazoo, MI to Reno, NV. If geography isn't your thing, let me just say this is a looooong move. Prob 4 or 5 days on the road. I know this sounds crazy, but I've got a plan worked out that I think will work. It won't be easy, in fact it'll be somewhat of a hassle, but I'm gonna do it. I'll be documenting it here and over on the Reef Moonshiners FB group.

For the moment, here's a FTS under evening blues two nights ago (8.25.22). I'll keep things updated with the insanity...
8AAFCB24-34A9-4B03-8D51-13C1C67B1A89.jpeg

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, mate?
Thanks for the prompt, I've been meaning to come back and update. Sadly, the acropora didn't survive the trip. The rest of my sps and LPS did. One of two fish survived, the one that didn't make it got pinned under some rocks I think, as the ride in the cabin of the giant moving truck was incredibly bumpy and rocks were bouncing up and down as I drove.

I replaced the fish (flame angel) and bought a bunch of new acro frags. All is well now. I probably replaced over 50% of my water when I set it back up, using TM Pro salt, but because my rocks were kept properly I had no issues at all with replacing all that water, and my acans are actually suddenly happy again. Who knows?

I'll get some new pics posted soon...
Cheers!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the prompt, I've been meaning to come back and update. Sadly, the acropora didn't survive the trip. The rest of my sps and LPS did. One of two fish survived, the one that didn't make it got pinned under some rocks I think, as the ride in the cabin of the giant moving truck was incredibly bumpy and rocks were bouncing up and down as I drove.

I replaced the fish (flame angel) and bought a bunch of new acro frags. All is well now. I probably replaced over 50% of my water when I set it back up, using TM Pro salt, but because my rocks were kept properly I had no issues at all with replacing all that water, and my acans are actually suddenly happy again. Who knows?

I'll get some new pics posted soon...
Cheers!
Sorry about your losses but at least most of it survived though!! can't wait to see the pictures

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back