Cebu sun 400 watt halide and 4 t5s

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this used. It has 3 400 watt radium bulbs on hamilton electronic ballasts. And 4 80w t5s. What t5s are good in these with radiums? Love the color of radium!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you want to use the fixture.
If you use most of the photoperiod with T5s you could use some of the "white" bulbs, like the ATI Coral Plus and such, with ATI Blue Plus. Or you could have 4 ATI Blue Plus bulbs. That is what I do. Another option is to have 2 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI True Actinic bulbs.
I've never tried Hamilton bulbs, but they should also work.
It doesn't matter what combination you choose. The combination of halide/T5 will all offer the best for your system! Congratulations! Cebu is a great fixture.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you want to use the fixture.
If you use most of the photoperiod with T5s you could use some of the "white" bulbs, like the ATI Coral Plus and such, with ATI Blue Plus. Or you could have 4 ATI Blue Plus bulbs. That is what I do. Another option is to have 2 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI True Actinic bulbs.
I've never tried Hamilton bulbs, but they should also work.
It doesn't matter what combination you choose. The combination of halide/T5 will all offer the best for your system! Congratulations! Cebu is a great fixture.
Thanks. Im pretty happy with it sp far. I replaced my led that just didnt look realistic to me. Too "chromatic" or something.
I use the t5s for 12 hours for dusk to dawn effect mainly. And the radiums are on just for 5 hours. Im thinking of geisman bulbs because they are on sale where i live right now. Not sure if geisman is any good.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Im pretty happy with it sp far. I replaced my led that just didnt look realistic to me. Too "chromatic" or something.
I use the t5s for 12 hours for dusk to dawn effect mainly. And the radiums are on just for 5 hours. Im thinking of geisman bulbs because they are on sale where i live right now. Not sure if geisman is any good.

Giesemann are good bulbs. If I were in your shoes I’d run 2 giesemann actinic blue and 2 giesemann pure actinic lamps if that’s the brand of choice. If not I’d order 2 ati blue+ and 2 ati true actinic which are basically the same bulbs of a different company. Run the t5 for 12 hours a day and the halides for 5-8 hours depending on what you like

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Chromatic is good adjective to describe some LEDs!
Yes, Giesemann are great bulbs!!! 10 hours is enough to run 4 T5 bulbs, but 12 hours is also acceptable. You can choose any bulb you like to try, because they are all good and you just have to choose according to your taste. Like I've said, I like to use the ATI Blue Plus. They are equivalent to the Giesemann Actinic Blue. They look almost the same to the naked eye too.
I've used Giesemann bulbs when I got my Spectra fixture from Giesemann, and I loved them. I run my 4 X T5s for 9 hours total. That way their spectrum last longer in terms of hours. I change them every 12 months, and using less hours a day I "save" the spectrum from changing too much for a bit longer during the 12 month period. 5 hours for the halides is fine. Your tank will be amazing! Keep the stability and let the system do it's thing! Please post some pictures when you have a chance! You will see hearts in tiny air bubbles coming out of the water from your coals. Ha!!
Go slow adapting the corals...

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love.my giessman bulbs. Im using 8 bulb tek light. Only bulb im not using is the coral+
D
Too bad they stopped producing that fixture. The reef and planted tank communities use Teks for a long time. It was a great option for those who liked to place the fixture on the tank, instead hanging from ceiling.
Most of the good things in this life goes away. So unfortunately!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back