OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build/idea. I really like these multi-displays if I can call it that, I think it just adds a whole new dimension to the tank. And gives even more flexibility/freedom of ideas for the tank! Amazing job on plumbing, do you have any updates? Following along
Thank you very much. Ill post a good update over the weekend when I have a chance to document it. I have the water change system hooked up and am currently testing it. I finalized my RODI and Kalk hookup and completed the plumbing for those items. I also hooked up a chiller in the garage (through the wall) as well as installed my dosing pumps. So its going to take me a little bit of time to document it all lol. AH and I got my first ICP test back. Looks pretty geed with the exception of slightly elevated arsenic and silicone levels. I suspect all the new plumbing is the culprit though I may post to @Randy Holmes-Farley chemistry forum and seek advice. Arsenic is a new one for me.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, awesome build! Nicely done! Super clean. Great looking aquascape!
Thank you very much. The aquascape was a real pain in the rear. I have been collecting bonsai for many years and always wanted to apply the aesthetics to a reef tank. I built and rebuilt the rockwork several time never really satisfied. Eventually I concluded that though the essence of a bonsai proportionally speaking was appropriate, once corals started growing out the whole thing would change - so maybe the essence was enough. I then started going through pictures I have taken over the years of reefs in the Caribbean and used those to inspire a more natural look. Structures like this can often be found in areas where the corals haven't been nailed by a hurricane for a few years or covered with sand.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that skimmer stand idea. Very simple and looks good.
It was by far the simplest and one of the most useful mods so far. Every time I have started having nutrient issues in other tanks cleaning the sump helped a bunch so my goal with this tank is to keep a clean sump. I hate filter socks because I always end up forgetting about them so my sumps always end up a mess. This time Ill use fiber floss in the cups that fit the Reefers when I want to polish the water and the 200 micron bags the rest of the time. Even so Ill still need to start setting a reminder to check them a couple of times a week. To keep the sump clean though I may have to vacuum it weekly as well. I really don't want to cause myself a bunch of extra work so I need to either find an inline pump that has large enough flow rate to quickly get the job done or maybe modify the manifold on the back wall so that I can use a pump that pushes enough water around to keep the sump clean and then use the pump for the water changes that is already in the tank feed the detritus through a filter sock or something. Really have no idea how I'm going to do that but I will.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was by far the simplest and one of the most useful mods so far. Every time I have started having nutrient issues in other tanks cleaning the sump helped a bunch so my goal with this tank is to keep a clean sump. I hate filter socks because I always end up forgetting about them so my sumps always end up a mess. This time Ill use fiber floss in the cups that fit the Reefers when I want to polish the water and the 200 micron bags the rest of the time. Even so Ill still need to start setting a reminder to check them a couple of times a week. To keep the sump clean though I may have to vacuum it weekly as well. I really don't want to cause myself a bunch of extra work so I need to either find an inline pump that has large enough flow rate to quickly get the job done or maybe modify the manifold on the back wall so that I can use a pump that pushes enough water around to keep the sump clean and then use the pump for the water changes that is already in the tank feed the detritus through a filter sock or something. Really have no idea how I'm going to do that but I will.

Hey Centerline, I’m like you, I try to keep my sump clean. I run the mesh socks and they get the big stuff.

For cleaning my sump and catching the debris before it gets to the display, and for polishing, check out what I do on post #376 of my build thread.

Works like a champ!

And I’m still admiring your tank!

Mike

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Centerline, I’m like you, I try to keep my sump clean. I run the mesh socks and they get the big stuff.

For cleaning my sump and catching the debris before it gets to the display, and for polishing, check out what I do on post #376 of my build thread.

Works like a champ!

And I’m still admiring your tank!

Mike
The felt across the baffle is a great idea, thanks. I'm off to score some now! You have a great looking tank dude!

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to show you guys a simple way to build a skimmer stand that doesn't trap detritus, effect the flow in your sump, take up too much room, lacks isolators for vibration and costs $50 or more. The skimmer I'm running is a Vertex Omega 180i and by all accounts its very picky about water level for optimal performance. Looking at the BRS recommendation of 8" and reading a few articles that state 9" I decided to split the difference at 8.5". I prefer so hear as little noise as possible out of my tanks to I also planned for vibration isolators. After thinking about it a bit I came up with the following.

The riser starts off with a PVC fitting called a "Table cap". They run about $3.00 each unless you buy a bag of 10 and then you can expect to pay $1.70 - $2.50 each. I needed 4 of these.
208312-tablecap-1--and-1_1.jpg

I glues the table caps to the bottom of my skimmer being careful to ensure equal spacing for stability. Weld on 14 or Oatly Fusion glue will do a good job if gluing most dissimilar plastics such as PVC to acrylic and I recommend it as I've now refitted three skimmers like this with no issues. The table caps will need a hole drilled into the side of the to allow water to escape.
IMG_20180710_173933.jpg

Next you will need PVC pipe cut to size and end caps.
IMG_20180710_201205.jpg

Once attach the end cap to the PVC you will need to drill a hole towards the base of the PVC pipe for water to come in and in the end caps for your isolators to plug into. I used a 1/4" hole for both the pipe and the end cap - worked fine.

The end caps will run about $1.50 each though I score a 10 pack on Amazon for $12 (with prime!).
Rubber isolators will be priced all over the lace and though I had a set for this skimmer I picked an assortment of grommets on Amazon for $8.99 (again with prime!) that had several different sized and types that will work. The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Pro-Asso...-spons&keywords=rubber+isolation+mounts&psc=1

IMG_20180710_203116.jpg

Once the table caps have dried simply insert the legs and place your skimmer in the sump for testing. I would NOT advise gluing anything other than the table caps to the skimmer base. It doesn't need glue and as you might find that the legs need to shortened or lengthened for optimal performance. Even it you get the height perfect on the first shot you may change sumps, sell it etc.

IMG_20180710_203210.jpg

So how did it work out for me?

* In the video everything is VERY noisy. Lots of water and pumps breaking in. Its dead silent now.

You my friend are my hero! I have been searching endlessly for a solution to my sump height that wouldn't look tacky and also try and match my tank theme. This is absolutely outstanding and mainly available local. I'm running a Bubble Magus Curve 9 and it will not stop overflowing due to the height and this will solve it perfectly. I found the perfect isolation feet with plastic threads to use on the caps and the table caps will mount to my existing skimmer feet without issue. I'm going to use Gorilla tape for the portion not covered by the mount. Tank looks amazing man, hope it is all going well for you!

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You my friend are my hero! I have been searching endlessly for a solution to my sump height that wouldn't look tacky and also try and match my tank theme. This is absolutely outstanding and mainly available local. I'm running a Bubble Magus Curve 9 and it will not stop overflowing due to the height and this will solve it perfectly. I found the perfect isolation feet with plastic threads to use on the caps and the table caps will mount to my existing skimmer feet without issue. I'm going to use Gorilla tape for the portion not covered by the mount. Tank looks amazing man, hope it is all going well for you!
Ya Man, works like a charm and easy to change the height if things change. Tank is going well - update shortly.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update, this build is awesome!
Ya Man, just been letting everything chill and prepping to start adding some SPS - already moved a couple of chalice colonies and miscellaneous LPS. Ill update the build over the next few days.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Man, just been letting everything chill and prepping to start adding some SPS - already moved a couple of chalice colonies and miscellaneous LPS. Ill update the build over the next few days.

I'm looking for elegance and chalice but there's nothing remotely interesting around me and I don't want tiny frags. Any ideas of where to look even if shipping is needed? Following your setup... My canopy came out excellent and corals are doing great so far.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A huge Thank You to @Centerline for helping me with my RSR250. I asked him for some help, he went out of his way, would not allow me to pay him nor allow me to pay for shipping, he knows me from a couple PM's and went out of his way for me. That is what I call paying it forward! Can't wait to watch your tank mature!

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A huge Thank You to @Centerline for helping me with my RSR250. I asked him for some help, he went out of his way, would not allow me to pay him nor allow me to pay for shipping, he knows me from a couple PM's and went out of his way for me. That is what I call paying it forward! Can't wait to watch your tank mature!
Happy to help Man - thank you very much!

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build!

I have a 425 xl ordered and can't wait to start work on that. For me, this will be my first tank with in cabinet sump from the get go. I can really appreciate your experience with the engineering of your build. I'm still adding kalk through the ATO! But I am learning about 2-part dosing and more. This will also be my first APEX controlled tank.

It's an evolution for me. There's so much to learn but threads like this help on that learning curve!

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build!

I have a 425 xl ordered and can't wait to start work on that. For me, this will be my first tank with in cabinet sump from the get go. I can really appreciate your experience with the engineering of your build. I'm still adding kalk through the ATO! But I am learning about 2-part dosing and more. This will also be my first APEX controlled tank.

It's an evolution for me. There's so much to learn but threads like this help on that learning curve!
Man you are going to love the 425 - great sized tank. The awesome thing about Reef2Reef is that there is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you do and they are always ready to help.
Feel free to ask if you feel I can help in any way!

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 302 Aquatics ATS up and running. I ended up replacing one IP65 LEd with a Full Spectrum Grow Light to provide a wider spectrum overall. Hopefully all goes well and I start harvesting some algae from it rather than my 450.

Algae Scrubber (4).jpg

Before (Leaking)

20181116_235325_HDR.jpg

After (Rebuilt)

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 302 Aquatics ATS up and running. I ended up replacing one IP65 LEd with a Full Spectrum Grow Light to provide a wider spectrum overall. Hopefully all goes well and I start harvesting some algae from it rather than my 450.

Algae Scrubber (4).jpg

Before (Leaking)

20181116_235325_HDR.jpg

After (Rebuilt)
That thing looks really nice. Have you used one before? I've been considering one for an LPS tank.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks really nice. Have you used one before? I've been considering one for an LPS tank.

Thanks, no first time. I've heard a lot of good cases with them. I'm keeping a close eye on it and will be certain to report progress. Glad to see you are making progress yourself. System is looking amazing, keep it up...

Back