Centropyges in 40g: how many and which species?

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I almost finished setup of my 40g acroporas-only tank (26x20x20) and now I have struggles with fish stocking.
I prefer centropyges.

At first I consider to buy a pair of centropyge argi or acanthops, then centropyge aurantia, centropyge bispinosa.

How are they aggressive to each other? Could I keep a group of different centropyges of moderate size (no more than 3")? How many fishes could I have in my 40g?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't try more than a pair if it was my tank, they do use a lot of space. If you buy a medium sized one, and a very small one, you can pretty easily pair them up. I would think a pair of Centropyge argi would do well enough in a 40 gallon tank.

I have a 280g tank, and my Potteri pair are in and out of rocks throughout the entire tank. I suspect they have a pretty big territory in the wild. They will be aggressive to each other if you don't introduce them carefully - you can often get a harem going by adding a larger one and a few smaller fish at the same time, but as with anything no guarantees.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest of the the Centropyge would be the Argi and the Acanthrops. I keep Argi but never a harem. I currently have a harem of 3 Acanthrops in a 65 gal. 65 is essentially have the same footprint as a 40 gal but higher.
Here is a thread on my harem, including how to sex them.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 is essentially have the same footprint as a 40 gal but higher.
This isn't a standard 40 breeder. It's more of a cube.

That being said, I think it would be cramped. I would stick with 1 pair of angels.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Biota Coral Beauty in my IM 50 Lagoon--wish I'd have bought 2 at the same time. Still thinking about getting another after 1st one gets bigger.

OrionN's thread on his harem is great -followed it from the beginning.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a standard 40 breeder. It's more of a cube.

That being said, I think it would be cramped. I would stick with 1 pair of angels.
I missed the dimension of the tank. It is kinda small for a pair. I would stick with singleton.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really thinking about a pair of Argi for my 45 gallon lagoon tank, I’m having a little difficulty finding a female right now though

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal
It seem to me that the default sex of angels are female. These small angels have very long spike, don't sex them by the length of their spike. Look at the shape and coloration of the fins. I have not keep harem of Argi but if you have several together, you can observe and tell us about how to sex them.
I seen two Flameback Angel that have been along for several years, they were both very large females.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal
It seem to me that the default sex of angels are female. These small angels have very long spike, don't sex them by the length of their spike. Look at the shape and coloration of the fins. I have not keep harem of Argi but if you have several together, you can observe and tell us about how to sex them.
I seen two Flameback Angel that have been along for several years, they were both very large females.
Thanks! Ill just buy two and see how it goes, I already have a rehoming and separation strategy if things dont work out. Would you recommend getting two where one is larger than the other or should they be about the same size?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get two small ones or a large and a small. Look for color differenced of the back of the Anal and Dorsal fins, look for the shape of the end of the Dorsal and Anal fins. Males have pointed fins, and more dark florescent edge to these fins, similar to Flame angels and Flameback angels.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get two small ones or a large and a small. Look for color differenced of the back of the Anal and Dorsal fins, look for the shape of the end of the Dorsal and Anal fins. Males have pointed fins, and more dark florescent edge to these fins, similar to Flame angels and Flameback angels.
Thank you!

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really thinking about a pair of Argi for my 45 gallon lagoon tank, I’m having a little difficulty finding a female right now though
My LFS ensure me they have let's say kind of established pair, and it costs a bit more than just 2 Argi. So I hope there's true female.

They will be aggressive to each other if you don't introduce them carefully - you can often get a harem going by adding a larger one and a few smaller fish at the same time, but as with anything no guarantees.
Will they be aggressive even to other centropyge species? I asking because I know (just an example) tangs usually pretty aggressive to the same species but significantly more peaceful to other tang species. Will it work with centropyges?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back