Certified Quarantined Fish Shipped To Your Door...

How much would you pay for certified quarantined fish shipped to your door?

• I wouldn't pay extra

Votes: 362 32.1%
  • 2x more

Votes: 604 53.5%
  • 3x more

Votes: 120 10.6%
  • 4x more

Votes: 20 1.8%
  • 5x+ more

Votes: 23 2.0%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So not true... I used to own a frozen fish food company that was the first widely distributed high-quality frozen fish food that didn't use fish meal. I studied fish nutrition extensively, and while I don't see strictly flake food as being the best diet, it is at least good enough to grow many types of fish from juvenile to adult and having them look vividly colored and looking spectacularly healthy. I have a near show worthy powder brown and chevron tang that I've had for many years and grew from tiny juvenilles into near adults and have never seen a morsel of food other than mysis occasionally many years ago and now recently. In short, good quality flake food can be a very balanced diet for a fish. In fact it's far superior to feeding something like mysis or krill all the time.
This is consistent with all the reading I've done - there is probably more damage done by people trying to feed 'their own mix' live or whatever - than feeding one high quality food thats been designed for the fish you're trying to keep.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is consistent with all the reading I've done - there is probably more damage done by people trying to feed 'their own mix' live or whatever - than feeding one high quality food thats been designed for the fish you're trying to keep.
Same here. I'll pay the extra to feed what is intended for my tank with the added aminos and vitamins than Give it a diet lacking essentials for the few pennies saved.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Already eating is positive but you also want to pay attention to breathing. Overall skin/fin health, eyes not sunken in, and even it’s quick response when it sees the net as it’s being caught.

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone direct me to their own write-up, or someone else’s, that they have used themselves for details and specifics on what you do to quarantine 1) fish and 2) quarantine corals?

I’m about to start the purchase of livestock for my new 74g DT tank and would love some advice.

Thanks in advance-
Matt

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone direct me to their own write-up, or someone else’s, that they have used themselves for details and specifics on what you do to quarantine 1) fish and 2) quarantine corals?

I’m about to start the purchase of livestock for my new 74g DT tank and would love some advice.

Thanks in advance-
Matt
Link to Sticky in Fish Disease Forum, this is thread has links to tons of threads on quarantining fish and inverts.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thread-links-to-all-things-quarantine-fish-inverts.602917/

There are several other stickies that have useful information in the Fish Disease and Treatment subforum as well. I'd recommend to go through those too

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a standard in the hobby that retailers QT and ensure they are selling healthy pets.

When you buy a puppy or a cat from a breeder or even Petco, it's had at least 1 round of shots, and it's been treated for worms and internal parasites.

Why do we not demand the same standards of retailers for our underwater pets?

Okay, so it costs money. Roll it into the cost and sell me a healthy animal. I don't like the idea of being charged an additional fee to ensure the animal is already healthy.
Lol well said the fish should already be healthy without the fee ...

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the reason there is so much varied opinion around the topic of quarantine, is in the definition itself.

Put simply, Quarantine is to isolate a member or group from the general population for a period of time , generally, but not exclusively, for observation in an attempt to minimize the risk of cross contamination.

Just because you have never quarantined and never had an outbreak does not prove anything. Would you drive your car without a seat belt? I have been driving, for over 35 years and never had an accident where a seat belt would have made any difference. In the vast majority of cases it saves lives and or serious injury. I always wear my seatbelt no matter how inconvenient

I have never seen or heard of any argument that would contradict a simple quarantine period. A period of observation separate from the general population. The size of the quarantine tank should be calculated using common sense. You can feed the animal just the same as if it was in the main display (even collecting worms from your ocean if you have the time and access). You can even decorate and aquascape the tank the same if you wish. For all of those that advocate good diet to support an animals immune system then yes, I can't see how anyone would disagree. It makes common sense and in my opinion is part of the duty of care. However I can not see how a quarantine period impinges on this . You can still feed your animals this whilst in quarantine.

Prophylactic treatment, inoculation and therapeutic treatment are different subjects and should always be at the carers discretion and depend on sufficient knowledge of the procedures and treatments to be used. Also the provision of equipment suitable to make accurate calculations. Prophylactic treatment of ornamental marines, in my experience is strongly discouraged by veterinarians. That is why their ethics standards does not allow prescription for such methods.

Quarantine procedure should be the responsibility of the person to whom currently has a duty of care for the animal and any animals that it may come into contact with.

Truth is, in my experience as an LFS owner, the vast majority of people keeping marine ornamentals in aquariums (seperate from true hobbyists) just don't care and neither do a large part within the industry. They treat them like commodities, stack them high and sell them quick before they perish.

As I have mentioned before I quarantine all of my fish before going on sale in separate systems for a minimum of six weeks. All of the display aquariums are on separate systems to further eliminate contamination. The procedure of quarantine is at my discretion depending on circumstance and species.

I add a simple mark up to all of my QT fish. This is calculated by taking the cost involved during QT (electricity, medicine) for a given QT tank divided by the number of animals sharing that tank. In my experience this works out at around £30 for a 3 or 4 foot tank. To make a fair distribution of cost, fish are usually separated into tanks depending on retail value. But more importantly on compatibility. The vast majority of my animals are in the mid to high value bracket. It is not viable for me to QT low retail value animals as the economics would in my opinion render them to expensive to be appealing to my customers.

I have been saying for some time now, this great hobby of ours is in need of a big wake up call, before it's gone forever. Support captive breeding, ethically sourced livestock and reef restoration.

It’s nice to say “support captive breeding” but the reality is we cannot. It’s insanely expensive compared to wild caught. Both the high cost and low availability make captive bred saltwater fish a high end luxury that only the wealthy can afford. It totally support it in theory, but until breeders can bring their product to market and competitive prices and larger volume it’s just a super niche thing.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to say “support captive breeding” but the reality is we cannot. It’s insanely expensive compared to wild caught. Both the high cost and low availability make captive bred saltwater fish a high end luxury that only the wealthy can afford. It totally support it in theory, but until breeders can bring their product to market and competitive prices and larger volume it’s just a super niche thing.

Hi @Bouncingsoul39 , I totally agree with you reagrds most prices. It can be very, very, expensive to go the captive bred route. For many its just not viable. However your support in theory of captive breeding is very much appreciated.

They are a number of captive bred fish that are very reasonably priced, infact some are cheaper or the same price as wild caught. Captive bred Orchid Dottybacks and Molly Miller blennies come to mind.

Personally I try to make the choice of my customers between wild caught to captive bred as economical as possible, I do this by making the same profit in (£) on my captive bred animals as I do with wild caught. For instance if I where to make a profit of say £35 on a wild caught fish compared to what I paid wholesale. I offer the same margin on my captive bred version. (I simply take the wholesale cost and add the wild caught margin) Some retailers just mark up the same percentage and on a high cost item this can be substantial.

There are many different ways of supporting captive breeding in the hobby. Posative remarks such as yours are just one of them. So on behalf of the breeders thank you for your support.

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this popped up in my mail? Maybe CUZ I'm done shopping and plopping fish in the tank.
Is there such a thing as CERTIFIED QUARANTINED FISH

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to pay 5x extra, the cost of fish don't really bother me because they live for so long. My tangs are over 8 years old and no sign of slowing down. My melanaurus has survived 2 tank crashes, 4 moves and an interstate house move since I got him in 2008.

I absolutely hate to QT fish, it's a large investment if you're setting up at QT for a lot of fish and plan on keeping them in QT for a safe amount of time (If you go cheap it's lots of hands on and water changes). Copper treatments (if needed) are probably the worst thing in this hobby and leave so much room for error (too little doesn't kill bad, too much kills fish + garbage copper test kits = yuck). When I buy fish I plan on buying for the long haul so a premium that helps the survival of my existing tank is something i'd gladly pay extra for.

The only challenge I see is that just because it eats in the vendors QT and is healthy there is still a chance it doesn't adapt to the environment in our tanks. You still have to worry about it eating once introduced to your tank. I would also love to see them ship the fish in a higher salinity. I wonder how many poor fish are killed by people who don't realize or read the instructions saying the fish is sitting in super low salinity and then dump them into their tank directly from the bag after a 5 minute temp cycle. I have even seen fish stores do this and wonder why their shipment had a terrible survival rate.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that would worry me are vendors that have large QT tanks all plumbed together. Do they keep all the fish together? ROI would be difficult even at 5X I would think, lots of work if you're wanting to sell this service in bulk. I have 3 fish sitting in QT for 2 months, I add 3 more that resets the first 3 as you just introduced into new potential parasites to the water. I have seen LFS do something like this but claim they have UV between each holding tank...which I wouldn't trust to be effective.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does getting two McD Filet-o-Fish delivered by DoorDash count?

20200204_232443.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back