Cg’s 1 month rapid reef cycle

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t subside until you get a UV. At least mine did not.
You weren't kidding about the UV. Finally* got one installed and turned it on this morning. Holy cowfish the tank is already nearly clear; it's only been running about 10 hours!

I still don't have a speck of GHA. There's a biofilm, fish are all doing fine, diatom bloom came and went, and I can see pods. Is it possible that I just didn't introduce any GHA spores, or the few that were in fish poop got out-competed by the phyto and heterotrophic bacteria? Or is the lack of GHA a bad sign and I'm about to see more dinos than Jurassic Park?

* Pentair was tripping GFCI because of a bad ballast. Seems like a common problem. BRS wouldn't let me return it because I was outside the return window. Ended up replacing it with a LifeGuard Aquatics 40W which looks and feels better built (not just a giant black tube, but a really solid unit with an attractive ocean-like color). And Pentair is replacing the bad ballast, so I might end up with a backup UV.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA will come. You just wait. :D
Looking forward to it!

Make sure you have detectable nitrates and phosphates. That will keep dinos away. UV will help with certain kinds of dinos.
Thanks! They were 0 last time I checked, but probably they were bound up in the phyto, so now that it's been UVed away maybe they will start coming back.

OP
OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E570B960-D3FE-4577-B0D8-9145DDDFF7E2.jpeg

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be using your method for this new tank I am starting.

Hows the tank so far?

Thanks

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you dose ammonium chloride to the tank and add a bacterial source from an existing setup, whether a single piece of LR or some sand? Wondering how long a system can go fishless before needing to add more or some other food source before you start having diminishing returns and your bacterial colony starts to decline?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@LegendaryCG

How come you take out the GFO and move to carbon?

I'm on week three and I'm dosing phyto everyday. I just added live rock from a 20 year old tank and also added some dragons breath.

I've been running a skimmer for about a week to break it in. Its pulling gunk.

Thanks!

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I followed this guide exactly how @LegendaryCG explained it.

Very minimal ugly stage. Clean up crew took care of everything.

Tank has been taking off.

Thanks again

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back