Cg’s 1 month rapid reef cycle

BRS

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had a similar algae bloom when I turned my lights on, in a bare bottom dry rock tank. That was following the BRS/WWC 4 month cycle.

How long did yours last for? This is going on about a week.
I guess it could be worse. There are no dinos, no cyano, no GHA waving in the flow.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

jamesdomini4

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How long did yours last for? This is going on about a week.
I guess it could be worse. There are no dinos, no cyano, no GHA waving in the flow.
It won’t subside until you get a UV. At least mine did not.

What setting are your lights at?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It won’t subside until you get a UV. At least mine did not.
You weren't kidding about the UV. Finally* got one installed and turned it on this morning. Holy cowfish the tank is already nearly clear; it's only been running about 10 hours!

I still don't have a speck of GHA. There's a biofilm, fish are all doing fine, diatom bloom came and went, and I can see pods. Is it possible that I just didn't introduce any GHA spores, or the few that were in fish poop got out-competed by the phyto and heterotrophic bacteria? Or is the lack of GHA a bad sign and I'm about to see more dinos than Jurassic Park?

* Pentair was tripping GFCI because of a bad ballast. Seems like a common problem. BRS wouldn't let me return it because I was outside the return window. Ended up replacing it with a LifeGuard Aquatics 40W which looks and feels better built (not just a giant black tube, but a really solid unit with an attractive ocean-like color). And Pentair is replacing the bad ballast, so I might end up with a backup UV.

Fritz

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
GHA will come. You just wait. :D
Looking forward to it!

Make sure you have detectable nitrates and phosphates. That will keep dinos away. UV will help with certain kinds of dinos.
Thanks! They were 0 last time I checked, but probably they were bound up in the phyto, so now that it's been UVed away maybe they will start coming back.

BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 89 48.4%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 56 30.4%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 4.3%