OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loosely followed the WWC/BRS 4 month cycle. The main differences are that my tank is bare bottom, I did not add pods and only added 2 types of bacteria.

I added establishment live rock from a fellow reefer at 6 weeks. I had to run a UV at 1 month when I switched on my lights. I kept the lights off UV running until the tank cleared. Lights were switched on again at 2.5 months together with the UV. I wonder if running UV during the early stages delayed my tank’s maturation process.

I have some coraline algae growth on the rocks.

9065F0C8-0B11-481B-A2F9-DCFF795ED8BB.jpeg

The tank is now a little over 4 months old. The acros I added bleached over 2-3 days. LPS is doing fine. Not sure where to go from here. Maybe I should just give it some more time.

Parameters:
Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 8.1
pH - 8.1
Cal - 470
Mag - 1440
Nitrate ~ 0 - 5 (API)
Phosphate ~ 0 (API)

I have ordered a Hanna phosphorus ulr checker.
I think it’s interesting that in the last week Ryan from BRS has stated that the BRS/WWC method doesn’t really work, precisely for the reasons I‘ve outlined.
@randyBRS

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so phytoplankton is photosynthetic. Do you suggest turning lights on right away (or as soon as you add the phyto)? Other option I guess is to rely on fuge/algae scrubber lights for the phyto but that feels kinda wrong.

OP
OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so phytoplankton is photosynthetic. Do you suggest turning lights on right away (or as soon as you add the phyto)? Other option I guess is to rely on fuge/algae scrubber lights for the phyto but that feels kinda wrong.
You can start running lights on a reduced schedule after adding phyto. 4 hours a day until you add corals

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
COVID-19 has totally derailed my vacation plans. Looking at a used IM 25 lagoon tomorrow. I am going to give the CG 30-day method a try this time. I might bug you with some questions :D

Last edited:

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought the IM25 tank and have been following a modified version of this method. So far, I have completed the below milestones.
  • Ran the tank with RODI water for a week and dialed in my ATO
  • Mixed salt to 1.026 on 5/3/21 and maintained at room temp.
  • I received live rock from gulfliverock.com on 5/5/21. The rock got rinsed and went directly into the tank.
  • Water temp was raised to 78.
  • Added GFO in a reactor
  • Added carbon for the first 5 days to reduce the stink.
  • I was waiting for the cycle to end so that I can start dosing phyto.
  • Tank finally cycled on 5/15/21. I ended up adding two SPS frags from local reefers. This was totally my bad planning and is not a part of this method. The frags are doing fine tho.

Below modifications were made:
  • Water temp kept at 78 from the beginning. I did not raise the temp to 82 as it might have been detrimental to any hitchhikers on my live rock.
  • No bottled bacteria was added to the tank.
  • Added carbon during the start of the cycle/cure.
  • Ran skimmer from days 3-10 to accelerate cycle/cure.
  • Lights were on at 50% from day 1.

Tank inhabitants so far:
  • 4 x Banded trochus snails (came with the tank).
  • Orange digitata.
  • Purple stylo.

Tank running RODI water:
image.jpg

Rockscape:

IMG_1025.jpg

Here are the two frags I added:
IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

I will start dosing phyto on Thursday and will continue posting updates here and on my build thread.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Week 2 and 3 update:

Everything is going well with the tank. I am dealing with a bryopsis algae outbreak. I added a pair of clownfish. I might add a sixline wrasse down the line and some cleanup crew. Not planning on any more fish.

Modifications:
  • Dosed fluconazole to kill bryopsis 2 weeks back.
  • Continuing to run GFO to absorb phosphates from algae die-off. Will continue with it for at least 2 more weeks or until bryopsis is out of the tank.
  • Not running carbon yet.

Plans for next week:
  • Ramp up testing and if nutrients are in control, I will add couple acro test frags.
IMG_1178.jpg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
4 weeks is up and I have added my first acro. It is a tricolor granulosa. The frag is all blue and purple at the moment, hoping that the greens will come in once it starts encrusting.

Coralline algae has started growing everywhere.

There are more than a few modifications:
1. No skimmer after week 2.
2. Fluconazole is still in the system and will be there for another couple weeks.
3. GFO added for longer than specified in the method.

The frag is looking happy. It has been in my tank for only 24 hours.

802EBAC7-AC5B-485F-99FA-5A4E0D0C77A8.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back