Chaeto algae fuge question

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm trying to grow some Chaeto algae in my fuge and I'm not sure if there's a trick to it that I'm missing... I've put it in my center chamber (first pic below of sump) and have a powerhead as well as my UV output rotating it. However, I get all these little pieces of the macroalgae floating up and clogging the baffle that overflows to my return section. Is this normal? Is there a better way to contain it all so it doesn't overflow and clog up the middle section (second pic below)?

Thanks!

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm trying to grow some Chaeto algae in my fuge and I'm not sure if there's a trick to it that I'm missing... I've put it in my center chamber (first pic below of sump) and have a powerhead as well as my UV output rotating it. However, I get all these little pieces of the macroalgae floating up and clogging the baffle that overflows to my return section. Is this normal? Is there a better way to contain it all so it doesn't overflow and clog up the middle section (second pic below)?

Thanks!

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG
I just added cheeto to my sump about a week ago. it's growing. this pic is just after i added it. it doesn't tumble because i have it kind of tucked in to keep it from moving. i just take a stick and flip it once a day.

20180728_124929.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without sufficient nutrients any macro algae will self destruct. It sounds as if your Chaetomorphy is dieing by bits and pieces.

Biochemistry 101
Phytoplankton combines C:N:p in the “Recfield Ratio” of 116:16:1.

Macro Algae combines in the ratio of 560:30:1 with much variance with nitrogen.

Without knowing anything about you or your system, I would guess that your system is nutrient deprived. Understand this about all photosynthetic organisms, “Not by the most abundant nutrient but by the least abundant is growth limited”.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

OP
OP
Balanje

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without sufficient nutrients any macro algae will self destruct. It sounds as if your Chaetomorphy is dieing by bits and pieces.

Biochemistry 101
Phytoplankton combines C:N:p in the “Recfield Ratio” of 116:16:1.

Macro Algae combines in the ratio of 560:30:1 with much variance with nitrogen.

Without knowing anything about you or your system, I would guess that your system is nutrient deprived. Understand this about all photosynthetic organisms, “Not by the most abundant nutrient but by the least abundant is growth limited”.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

Hmmm... can’t say I know exactly by a “recfield ratio” so I’m defiantly not considering that :/

Current params:

Salinity: 1.022
PH: 8.0
Am: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 20 ppm (a bit higher then usual)

Ca: 420
KH: 10.1
Mg: 1280
PO4: 0.16

I dose daily:
NO3:pO4-X
Live photoplankton

... I like the idea of just jamming it in together. I’m also using my old light from my 30gal. It’s a Fluval Sea and reef led

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added cheeto to my sump about a week ago. it's growing. this pic is just after i added it. it doesn't tumble because i have it kind of tucked in to keep it from moving. i just take a stick and flip it once a day.

20180728_124929.jpg

What kind of sump is that?

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sump is that?
That is Precision marine R48Pro. They make good stuff by the way. I also have a ATO reservoir and Reactor from them. And I got the Curve B9 from there too. The new R48 sumps have adjustable level. but mine works good at 8". That skimmer calls for 9 to 10 ithink. you would definately have to raise it up in that deep water.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason I could never grow chaeto and there are others out there who have experienced the same issue. Perhaps u may want to try algae reactor/scrubber so it's more contained?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are dosing:
NO3:pO4-X For Algae Management
You cant begin to grow macro algae if you are taking away all its nutrients

dylanst.onge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you should try to slowly get off the nopox and go to cheato for control, I always try and keep as many chemicals as possible out of the tank and everything seems to stay happier just my .02 good luck

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back