Chaeto : Am I doing this right?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! We have about two batches of chaeto from @AlgaeBarn in our refugium. We have a @Kessil H80 lighting it at about 50% intensity between grow & bloom. We have the light on opposite our display tank and it's on for about 8 hours a day. How do I know if it's doing well/growing? Should I increase the intensity? Should I increase the number of hours we have the lights on?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance. Also, if there are any videos or websites that you think would be helpful, please post here. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine on 24/7 and always have nitrate between 5-10 and phosphate less than 0.1. You know it's doing well when it's very wirery, green, and not crunchy. Tou also know it's doing well when your waste levels stabilize or drop. If it's dark, crunch, or pale and certain spots then it's not doing well. I recommend adding a wave maker or pump to spin it.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For our H80 we recommend always keeping it on Grow for macroalgae. I would leave the intensity and duration where it is for a few weeks then slowly increase the intensity if you are not getting enough growth or back down if you see the chaeto turning white. What size is the refugium and approximately how high is the mounted above it?

slyfox29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! We have about two batches of chaeto from @AlgaeBarn in our refugium. We have a @Kessil H80 lighting it at about 50% intensity between grow & bloom. We have the light on opposite our display tank and it's on for about 8 hours a day. How do I know if it's doing well/growing? Should I increase the intensity? Should I increase the number of hours we have the lights on?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance. Also, if there are any videos or websites that you think would be helpful, please post here. :)
I have the Kessil H160 over my Cheato running opposite of display tank. 50% intensity and cheato is doing great. Quadrupled size in 30 days.

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 12 on 12 off schedule, opposite the display light. I cut around 1/3 of the Chaeto out every Sunday. I use the ChaetoMax light

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For our H80 we recommend always keeping it on Grow for macroalgae. I would leave the intensity and duration where it is for a few weeks then slowly increase the intensity if you are not getting enough growth or back down if you see the chaeto turning white. What size is the refugium and approximately how high is the mounted above it?

Reufium is about 15g. It’s in a Waterbox 220.6 sump. Light is mounted using the Kessil flex arm, so it’s about 10” above chaeto.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine on 24/7 and always have nitrate between 5-10 and phosphate less than 0.1. You know it's doing well when it's very wirery, green, and not crunchy. Tou also know it's doing well when your waste levels stabilize or drop. If it's dark, crunch, or pale and certain spots then it's not doing well. I recommend adding a wave maker or pump to spin it.
+1 on wavemaker or pump

Question... Any recommendations on pump and placement in refugium? Should I put it toward the bottom? We have marine blocks under the chaeto, so what would you recommend?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... Any recommendations on pump and placement in refugium? Should I put it toward the bottom? We have marine blocks under the chaeto, so what would you recommend?

I got an a pump intake sponge filter and put it on a marine land maxijet. Im sure there are plenty of wavemakers taht would work, I just like this as I could put a sponge on the intake.I have it at the bottom "sweeping the chaeto off its feet" into a spin. You will have to play around with it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back