Chaeto during vibrant dosing

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start dosing vibrant to hopefully resolve an issue I’m having with bubble algae. I understand that I should remove my chaeto from my sump. My question is, how should I store my chaeto for potentially the next several months while dosing vibrant? Can I keep it in a bucket with a small powerhead and a grow light? Do I need to add anything to feed it?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good...you could also get some nutrient supplements - ChaetoGrow or similar and add if needed.

I doubt it'll be months if you're just addressing bubble algae. Vibrant might struggle with GHA and other algae but my experience is that Vibrant was made for bubble algae issues. Mine was gone in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good...you could also get some nutrient supplements - ChaetoGrow or similar and add if needed.

I doubt it'll be months if you're just addressing bubble algae. Vibrant might struggle with GHA and other algae but my experience is that Vibrant was made for bubble algae issues. Mine was gone in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck!
Man, I hope you're right! I have no other algae issues right now, so hopefully it only takes weeks.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant killed my bubble in a month or two. I would just throw out your chaeto and start over with a clean batch when you're ready, personally.
I agree. If the goal is to completely wipe out the bubble algae, it would be a shame to possibly reintroduce it when the chaeto goes back. Could happen.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Start a new batch of cheato as fellow reefers stated! Be careful with you no3 and po4 as vibrant will bottom them out for sure. If you have SPS in your tank I would go very slowly on dosing( half the suggested amount for the weekly dosing and watch your phos and nitrate like a hawk and dose them back as needed if you see a decline!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back