chaeto effeciency

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to grow chaeto for some time without any luck.
A friend started zeovit but had been growing chaeto with success. Chaeto he got from my batch.

I got a nice lump of chaeto and borrowed his AI fuge light. Now, three days later my nutrients has taking a huge dive, while my ph during night time (fuge light on) has increased.

Fuge is roughly 8x10x12 inches and 3/4 filled with chaeto, but still amazed it can suck up 8-10ppm NO3 from roughly 120 gl total water in 3 days. Is this normal ratio?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients taking a huge dive? Sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. What is your nitrate and phosphate levels? If you have a nutrient deficiency, you have two things coming your way.

1. Dinos - Gonna happen unless you keep some minimal level of nutrients in your tank
2. Start dosing or over feeding - Gotta keep that Cheato fed. If nutrients are gone, Cheato is not going to grow.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients taking a huge dive? Sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. What is your nitrate and phosphate levels? If you have a nutrient deficiency, you have two things coming your way.

1. Dinos - Gonna happen unless you keep some minimal level of nutrients in your tank
2. Start dosing or over feeding - Gotta keep that Cheato fed. If nutrients are gone, Cheato is not going to grow.
Yes. NO3 went from 12 to 3 and PO4 from 0.05 to 0.00 in 3 days.
I have turned off my GFO, as it seems chaeto is doing a great job and will feed some more including some reef roids, cyclops etc. for the corals. Hopefully, I can get a reading on the PO4 soon.
I'm glad I decided to check the levels.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. NO3 went from 12 to 3 and PO4 from 0.05 to 0.00 in 3 days.
I have turned off my GFO, as it seems chaeto is doing a great job and will feed some more including some reef roids, cyclops etc. for the corals. Hopefully, I can get a reading on the PO4 soon.
I'm glad I decided to check the levels.
I have found i didnt need GFO once my Cheato took hold. My bigger issue now is keeping some noticeable levels of nutrients in the first place. Heck, if it wasnt for gas exchange, i dont think i would need to run my skimmer either.

Good luck. If you do end up having to dose, look under Randy's thread about Trisodium Phosphate.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found i didnt need GFO once my Cheato took hold. My bigger issue now is keeping some noticeable levels of nutrients in the first place. Heck, if it wasnt for gas exchange, i dont think i would need to run my skimmer either.

Good luck. If you do end up having to dose, look under Randy's thread about Trisodium Phosphate.
I have both Nitrate and Phosphate on hand.
I believe my previous failed attempts have had chaeto leaking nutrients instead of uptake.
I'm just a bit shocked on how much impact they have. Guess its time for second breakfast, in the fish tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back