Chaeto from a tank which is known to have ich

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I have ich parasites in that I use the management method with nutrition and a UV set for protozoan control flow rates. I haven’t seen any signs on the fish in months but I know it’s there. I have another newer tank that I don’t want to be infested with the parasite, and I’m very careful about keeping anything that is used on my “ich tank” from being used on the newer tank.
The old tank’s refugium grows chaeto so quickly that I harvest basketball sized pieces every 2 or 3 weeks and last time I harvested some I threw it in a trash can in my garage I used to cure my live rock in a month or so ago. It’s salt water but no heater. The water temp is in the 40’s. I pulled out a chunk this morning and saw live pods in the chaeto. It’s been in the trash can for a couple of weeks, so pods must be really hardy guys. My question is can I use some of that chaeto to start the refugium in the new tank? Any free swimming parasites had to have died from not having a fish to latch on to, and one would think the cold would have killed then as well. Didn’t kill the pods though so I’m reaching out for advice. Any harm in using this chaeto?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I have ich parasites in that I use the management method with nutrition and a UV set for protozoan control flow rates. I haven’t seen any signs on the fish in months but I know it’s there. I have another newer tank that I don’t want to be infested with the parasite, and I’m very careful about keeping anything that is used on my “ich tank” from being used on the newer tank.
The old tank’s refugium grows chaeto so quickly that I harvest basketball sized pieces every 2 or 3 weeks and last time I harvested some I threw it in a trash can in my garage I used to cure my live rock in a month or so ago. It’s salt water but no heater. The water temp is in the 40’s. I pulled out a chunk this morning and saw live pods in the chaeto. It’s been in the trash can for a couple of weeks, so pods must be really hardy guys. My question is can I use some of that chaeto to start the refugium in the new tank? Any free swimming parasites had to have died from not having a fish to latch on to, and one would think the cold would have killed then as well. Didn’t kill the pods though so I’m reaching out for advice. Any harm in using this chaeto?
I wouldn't risk it, as said, the lower temperatures actually can increase the length of time that the ich tomonts can remain viable.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back