Chaeto light acclimation

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little fuge, about 10"x8" in my sump, currently lit with a 9w LED home depot grow light, which I think is in the 6500k range, has a pink-ish hue but a lot of white light. I'll be replacing that with a Kessil H80, which is 15w all in reds and blues.

How important is light acclimation when changing the light on a refugium? It's not a huge difference in wattage, but since the spectrum is concentrated I'm thinking the difference for the chaeto is more than just the 6w of power between the lights, but still it's nothing close to the big jump from something like a CFL to an H380.

Can I just set it on max intensity and go, or should I be dialing it back for the first few days?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little fuge, about 10"x8" in my sump, currently lit with a 9w LED home depot grow light, which I think is in the 6500k range, has a pink-ish hue but a lot of white light. I'll be replacing that with a Kessil H80, which is 15w all in reds and blues.

How important is light acclimation when changing the light on a refugium? It's not a huge difference in wattage, but since the spectrum is concentrated I'm thinking the difference for the chaeto is more than just the 6w of power between the lights, but still it's nothing close to the big jump from something like a CFL to an H380.

Can I just set it on max intensity and go, or should I be dialing it back for the first few days?
I went from one of those bulbs to a Kessil H160. Saw about the same amount of growth for some macro. No marco was harmed in this experiment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back