Chaeto Melt… looking for less fragile Algae

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve grown Chaeto in most of the tanks I’ve had. Have a 29g cube now. Trying SPS so I want cleaner water. Is that mutually exclusive to macro algae in a small tank? I found that running Chemi-Pure Elite is great for keeping hair algae from growing in the DT. Has the same affect on Macro.

What WON’T macro algae control that the Elite will? I’d much rather have clean water with macro. I want a spot for pods to breed.

Is there a “synthetic” substance that is awesome for pods? (In case my clean water can’t be had with macro?)

Is there a more hardy Macro that won’t melt as easily as Chaeto?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the back chamber and is it fitted with a lighted area? You can do a hang on tank upflow algae scrubber. I use these on almost all my tanks (6g has no room). They are easy to maintain, great at keeping algae under control, and are a great habitat for pods. I have DIY's all mine and they have all worked great. You will need an airstone and pump as extra equipment.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the back has plenty of space and I have a fuge light on opposite light cycle. Was doing fine with Chaeto until I decided to use Chemi-Pure Elite. All the Chaeto melted. Trying to decide if I can go with just the Chaeto and not use the CPE.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Chemipure to help with any toxins/chemical warfare and as a help to clean out some nitrates in my 6g. I use just carbon and the UAS. Sometimes a bit of GFO, but not often. You can always start up cheato again once the tank gets more mature and nutrients begin to rise.
I have always had a problem getting cheato to spin which helps it grow. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve grown Chaeto in most of the tanks I’ve had. Have a 29g cube now. Trying SPS so I want cleaner water. Is that mutually exclusive to macro algae in a small tank? I found that running Chemi-Pure Elite is great for keeping hair algae from growing in the DT. Has the same affect on Macro.

What WON’T macro algae control that the Elite will? I’d much rather have clean water with macro. I want a spot for pods to breed.

Is there a “synthetic” substance that is awesome for pods? (In case my clean water can’t be had with macro?)

Switch to chemipure blue which will still help with algae but minus the GFO which is causing your issue with chaeto. In lieu of chaeto, some xenia or better yet kenyii tree will pull nitrates from your tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vette said, what are the parameters in the tank as well to watch out for the po4 drop.
If everything is going well with what you are doing though you can just add a "copepod hotel" for the pod population and continue doing what you are currently doing.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Chaeto melting? I didn't see that explicitly stated in your post or title, mainly that it's a possibility

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If you are going to use CPE you can always use biofilter media like marine pure blocks or gems to give pods a good area to populate.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use CPE you can always use biofilter media like marine pure blocks or gems to give pods a good area to populate.
Last night I swapped CPE for Carbon, got some more Chaeto AND built this:
D6AE7827-F468-4952-ABF7-1E87A4DDF5A8.png

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet! Curious to see an update and see how well it works for you! :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back