becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so decided to be a little ahead.
nyos NO3 - 1-3ppm !! yikes
PO4 Hanna - .03 ppm
yeah my system is starving. i feed 2 cubes frozen everyday and 1-2 healthy pinches of pellet everyday. sometimes i put a small scoop of reef roids in the food.
tank is often hazy not terrible but not crystal clear either. skimmer has been off for 3 days now. so whatever im putting in is getting consumed immediately or was skimmed out.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah this really tells me nothing ither than that i need to add some iodine, have basically no phosphate and have a weirdly elevated lvl of uranium

shared-widget-1580337685107.jpeg.jpg

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah this really tells me nothing ither than that i need to add some iodine, have basically no phosphate and have a weirdly elevated lvl of uranium

Had the same on my last ICP. Everything fine except iodine. I grabbed some of that Lugol’s stuff from Brightwell. I add like 2 drops a day if I remember. I don't have anything that tests iodine so I didn't want to over do it. It's potent stuff.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have uranium, where do you live? I live in the Rocky Mountains and uranium is present naturally in the surrounding rocks that off gases into Radon. The radon seeps into our houses through the crawlspace or basement. If our basement is ventilated, it would lower radon. But uranium is in the soil. It is interesting that the testing shows the presence of uranium. Maybe it is laboratory contamination. Or Maybe opening a window or ventilation will help with co2 and ph while removing the uranium present in your aquarium. Just my thoughts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red led lighting and iron supplement does wonders

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yeah i have a kessil h380 and add brightwell chaeto 1x/wk. it literally looks like rusty water
Rusty water- good description !!

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really struggled to grow cheato with the cheap growlights like the one listed earlier. I noticed the cheato growing until I upgraded my display lights.

I've modified an old AI prime and have it running at 40% as I didn't want to burn out the cheato by ramping it up to max. It's currently at 250 PAR(18 watts from supply) for 14 hours on reverse light cycle. It's only been running for a week, but I have already noticed a drop in Phosphate and Nitrate and I'm currently reducing my NOPOX dosage. My ph has lifted,so I believe it's all working.

I measured the weight of the cheato on Sunday and will measure it again next Sunday. Hopefully I will see some good growth, but it's early days.

Below is my thread on my modified light and measurements I took on other grow lights I had lying around.

But I'm a +1 on a good high PAR growlight like the H380.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fuge cut to 2hrs. let nutrients build. dosing is off settling at 7-8 alk. depending if i wamt to give tritin anither try.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really struggled to grow cheato with the cheap growlights like the one listed earlier. I noticed the cheato growing until I upgraded my display lights.

I've modified an old AI prime

But I'm a +1 on a good high PAR growlight like the H380.
Excellent modification - replacing the white/blue with reds is surety of success, as far as illumination is concerned.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought i would update. so i added an eheim auto feeder 4xs daily. at first on smallest setting but then put tape across and used two rotations. my nutrients started to build began adding brightwell chaeto grow at recommended dose on a weekly basis. chaeto started to take off. increased photoperiod to full 12 hrs. went a while with no testing (life hapoens) came back and did 13 days in a row PO4 No3 tests. yeah everyday zero po4 and 25-30 NO3. so started dosing PO4 bring down NO3 Po4 never registered above .02. meanwhile chaeto stayed exploding. brunging to lfs twice a week.

recently changed sump to trigger platinum...Love.. however small fuge and 380 light spill bad but chaeto keeps on going strong.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some chaeto about 3 weeks ago, and I don't believe it's growing or doing much of anything. I have it under a 20watt red LED grow light, and I have more than enough nutrients at around 20 nitrate and .2 phosphate. It's on a reverse light cycle and gets about 12 hours a day. I'm not tumbling it, but neither did the guy I got it from.

The guy I got it from had these under a full spectrum chinese black box LED. Does chaeto prefer full spectrum? It's also worth noting that it seems to be getting covered in micro bubbles from my skimmer. Could that be upsetting the chaeto? I've got cyano in my display, so I'd really like to get this stuff kicking butt to out compete it.
You need more PAR. I had the same issue as you until I put one of these above the fuge. Now I have to harvest it every two weeks. And now I have no nuisance algae in the display tank

1588779442312.png

jebernier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Nano Glo light on my chaeto fuge and it's just not growing. The Nano Glo has 4 LEDs 70 Lumens per LED.
Nitrates are 10 ppm and Phosphates are 0.25 ppm. Light is on 8 hours (11 PM to 7 AM). Not sure if I should increase the lighting period or invest in a better light, like the Tunze Eco Chic Refugium light? I don't have too many options as the fuge is in the middle chamber of my Waterbox 20

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Nano Glo light on my chaeto fuge and it's just not growing. The Nano Glo has 4 LEDs 70 Lumens per LED.
Nitrates are 10 ppm and Phosphates are 0.25 ppm. Light is on 8 hours (11 PM to 7 AM). Not sure if I should increase the lighting period or invest in a better light, like the Tunze Eco Chic Refugium light? I don't have too many options as the fuge is in the middle chamber of my Waterbox 20

I'm guessing you need a better light, and why not increase the photo period to 12 hours. I have mine the reverse of my display. It helps balance the ph

Back