OP
OP
J

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, end of week test numbers are in. PO4 is down from .21 to .18. Nitrate...looks lower. The Nyos nitrate kit is easy to read, but has a huge blind spot between 12 and 25. Before it looked like it was closer to the 25 range, today it looked closer to the 12 range. I changed out about 25 gal today and will do another 25gal tomorrow. I sucked out almost all the cyano today, so maybe the chaeto will do a little better with less competition?

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, end of week test numbers are in. PO4 is down from .21 to .18. Nitrate...looks lower. The Nyos nitrate kit is easy to read, but has a huge blind spot between 12 and 25. Before it looked like it was closer to the 25 range, today it looked closer to the 12 range. I changed out about 25 gal today and will do another 25gal tomorrow. I sucked out almost all the cyano today, so maybe the chaeto will do a little better with less competition?

I know it's an old thread but did you ever get your Chaeto to grow? I've had no luck getting it to grow either. I've heard that low iron traces will also keep Chaeto from growing. Did you ever have the ICP test done?

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a bulb in the 6500k to 9000k range, most plant grow lights operate on that kelvin.

OP
OP
J

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto withered. Recently I tried caulerpa and an old AI Hydra LED (the 5 LED per puck style). It was growing steadily for a week or so, then it got overtaken by hair algae and withered. I think I have too low of flow through my sump. I'm going to try again eventually with a powerhead in that area.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto withered. Recently I tried caulerpa and an old AI Hydra LED (the 5 LED per puck style). It was growing steadily for a week or so, then it got overtaken by hair algae and withered. I think I have too low of flow through my sump. I'm going to try again eventually with a powerhead in that area.

Ok, good luck. post if the power head has any improvements. Did you ever get the ICP test done? I'm curious to see if iron does have anything to do with it. Several posts I've found say it could be the hidden factor many are having a problem with in growing chaeto. Most people don't check iron levels.

I've tried increasing the flow and buying "Chaeto Grow" lights. Neither has fixed the problem. I also seem to have near ZERO algae growth at all in my tank even though my nitrates (40+ ppm) and phosphates (0.9) are fairly high. So, logically thinking, If I don't have other algae then the chaeto won't grow either. I'm no expert, so could be wrong on this.

OP
OP
J

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time, but I think at the time, I may have been PO4 limited. I actually had to dose it for a while. This is no longer true, but still haven't had much luck the couple times I've dabbled with it since.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am having EXACT same issue. and i have the h380

I eventually did figure it out (for my tank) if you're interested.

Started dosing trace elements that have iron, got some more chaeto and placed it in the fuge.

Day one, no light at all. Day two, light on as low intensity as I could make it without light turning off set to bloom I think (pinkish color leaning towards blue) and kept it that way for about a week. Second week turned up intensity just a little and planned to turn it up little by little each week, but ended up just leaving it there because it's growing pretty good now.

Reflecting back I think I just plain killed it with way too much light. those little LED lights put out a lot more light than you think. Start low and go slow. Wait a week and look for growth. If it's not growing but not dying up the light a little and repeat. If it's still dying with barely any light then you have other issues like very low Iron, Nitrates or Phosphates.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually did figure it out (for my tank) if you're interested.

Started dosing trace elements that have iron, got some more chaeto and placed it in the fuge.

Day one, no light at all. Day two, light on as low intensity as I could make it without light turning off set to bloom I think (pinkish color leaning towards blue) and kept it that way for about a week. Second week turned up intensity just a little and planned to turn it up little by little each week, but ended up just leaving it there because it's growing pretty good now.

Reflecting back I think I just plain killed it with way too much light. those little LED lights put out a lot more light than you think. Start low and go slow. Wait a week and look for growth. If it's not growing but not dying up the light a little and repeat. If it's still dying with barely any light then you have other issues like very low Iron, Nitrates or Phosphates.
What light are you using?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am having EXACT same issue. and i have the h380
Good light you've got.
Don't know what setting you have used, but the Bloom looks good to me.

1579751750529.png

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats that below the chaeto ? marine pure?

Brightwell Xport bricks on top of a layer of Seachem Matrix to block the light and some live rock pieces I threw in there because I didn't have anyplace else for them. There's actually a channel that runs under the fuge section that's clear acrylic and I was getting a ton of algae growth in that channel so I covered the bottom with matrix.

ink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce PO4 to 0,02 and keep it at that level. Try and see if something change.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce PO4 to 0,02 and keep it at that level. Try and see if something change.

Now I´m lost in space. No chaeto growth an you recommend lower the PO4 ! How do you get that together?

Sincerely Lasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back