Chalice help

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, I like Chalice corals. I currently have two frags (one red echino and one blue-gray Oxy).
Two new frags are on the way and I would like to keep expanding the collection, BUT

What are the lighting and flow requirements for optimal growth? I have two 250 watt MH (14K) over my 72 bow and I have plenty of light. The Chalices seem to do best when out of direct light but I keep reading that Chalices like high light. I also see some awesome chalices in tanks that are very highly lit. What do they want? These things are more difficult to understand than my wife. Help? Please!

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tanks diffrent so my best advice is try diffrent locals, but some like bright and some low alot depends on what they were kept under before you got them, some like alot of light but if they were kept under lower lighting they adjust to that so you may just need to slowly aclimate them to your lighting thats why when buying frags or colonys find out what lighting theyve ben under will help you abunch in finding a happy medium.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 250 chalice frags growing out right now. Most like higher light, but a few of my morphs like lower light. Put them mid tank, then move them up a bit if they do well mid tank. At the first sign of flesh retraction or discoloration, lower them. I am kind of steering my propagation to the higher light morphs lately. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back