Chalice, trumpet and hammer coral dead in two weeks

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 25 gallon aquarium with 2” sand bed and live rock. The aquarium is four months old and has recently been struggling with corals dieing. As seen above I’ve lost three corals in the last two weeks.

my parameters are as follows:
Phosphates- 0.04
Calcium- 461
Alkalinity- 9.6
Salinity- 1.25
PH- 8.2
Magnesium-1470
Nitrates- 7.2

All measurements are taken with Hanna.

The original issue started to show with two Zoas and the hammer. I moved the zoas and hammer to different locations after two weeks and the zoas came back but unfortunately the hammer was lost. A week later my chalice turned completely white including the trumpet. All other corals look fine which are three zoas, one chalice, a montipora and a Og bounce.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity is 1.025 not 1.25 sg correct? Could you tell us the flow, lighting (and settings), tank dimensions, and what source you use for water? Do you know the temperature and have a way to double check your thermometer with another? My guess is either a lighting or temperature issue but I need more info to be sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I have a 25 gallon aquarium with 2” sand bed and live rock. The aquarium is four months old and has recently been struggling with corals dieing. As seen above I’ve lost three corals in the last two weeks.

my parameters are as follows:
Phosphates- 0.04
Calcium- 461
Alkalinity- 9.6
Salinity- 1.25
PH- 8.2
Magnesium-1470
Nitrates- 7.2

All measurements are taken with Hanna.

The original issue started to show with two Zoas and the hammer. I moved the zoas and hammer to different locations after two weeks and the zoas came back but unfortunately the hammer was lost. A week later my chalice turned completely white including the trumpet. All other corals look fine which are three zoas, one chalice, a montipora and a Og bounce.

Any insight would be appreciated.
I suspect false alk readings which affect calcium
Also high water flow and light can impact these corals

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is currently 1.025, with my flow ranging from 1100-1350 gph. I’ve attached an image of my lighting peak time settings. I don't have a second temperature measuring tool but I will add one now.

Attachments

• C55E112C-507F-4ABA-B989-577D434A3431.png
    C55E112C-507F-4ABA-B989-577D434A3431.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank dimensions are

23.6"×15.7"×15.7"And I'm running 4 stage rodi system. I’ve been checking alkalinity with Hanna and recently had the lfs run tests, which came back the same as what I'm reading.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is currently 1.025, with my flow ranging from 1100-1350 gph. I’ve attached an image of my lighting peak time settings. I don't have a second temperature measuring tool but I will add one now.

How high is the light mounted ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use the hanna

If you could check which hanna checker they use for phosphate that would be helpful.

When the corals die, is it bleaching? Or, is it tissue necrosis (i.e. rapid or slow death of tissue, with the absence of bleaching).

I'd also double check the temperature of the tank if possible. It's always helpful to have a second thermometer just in case.

Have you checked for any possible source of rust?

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could check which hanna checker they use for phosphate that would be helpful. They aren't using the ulr reader just the standard.

When the corals die, is it bleaching? Or, is it tissue necrosis (i.e. rapid or slow death of tissue, with the absence of bleaching). Thinking it's tissue necrosis.

I'd also double check the temperature of the tank if possible. It's always helpful to have a second thermometer just in case. I installed a second thermometer last night.

Have you checked for any possible source of rust? Haven't checked, but will look tonight.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a tricky one. How stable have your parameters been? The fact that montipora is fine while zoas arent or that one chalice was affected but the other wasn't makes me think there was a swing in your alk or something like that. As listed those parameters don't leap off the screen as anything too concerning. Did you change or do anything right before you started seeing mortality? Any livestock that could be irritating or predating on the frags?
Sometimes with hammers things go south rather quickly, even if the situation is corrected. They can bail out or shrivel up rapidly if unhappy.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have the corals been in your tank before dying? How is the flow? How often do you change your water? 4 months old tank means you should be in middle of uglies now, do you have algae?

A picture tells a million words

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals have been in the tank for 2 months; flow between 1100-1395gph, and doing water changes weekly. I've started seeing more algae on sand bed; image below.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back