Challenge of a pico

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
Im researching more and more for a new 5 gal pico, because its fun to do small tanks lol
My question for you guys: what, if any, would be your dream pico. What would it have for equipment, what tank, filtration media, inhabitants?

Im thinking a 5 gal, with an undecided amount of soft coral, an undecided invert (or a few), hob filter with chemipure (elite or blue), and a cheapo light from marine depot thats sitting around from my qt. Notice i didnt list an ATO. Ive never ran ATO for any of my tanks, I manually top off each day. I do not keep sps but ive never had an issue with salinity swings and coral being affected.

As far as inverts, a few snails for cleaners but I also want something thats going to be out and about in the light and shrimp (while cute) are hit and miss with that. What are your favorite pico inhabitants? *Trying to avoid fish if I can.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval spec are nice. I like the imagitarium pro, but they are 3.7 gallons. I’ll change the stock pump with a rio 80. Add a kessil a80 light, a 25 watt heater (fluval or Aqeon pro), an hob filter (aqua clear 20) with filter floss and chemipure blue nano in it. That’s it. I would say you can skip the filter once tank is stable.

I'll also recommend starting with all live rock, no sand. Zoa, most softies (mushroom, Kenya tree, ), lps (trumpet corals etc ) and some sps (montis , green skimmer etc) should all grow fine. Do once a week 50% water change in the first 6 months and slowly adjust to 30% in every two weeks after a year or two.

Last edited:

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently working on a Fluval Sea EVO 5 (Build thread under Nano Reefs), in my honest opinion is the perfect size for a PICO and even with the standard equipment seem a good choice (Probably add a Nano pump or wave maker for additional circulation). Should work well if you are planning on sticking to Soft Corals.

Best of luck with your project, will keep an eye to see which direction you choose to go with.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
My only hang up at the moment is the heater. Heaters so small dont have built in thermostat (i love the cobalt heaters for that reason). Any suggestions there?

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my pico. It is doing great now that I dose and feed more.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE pico's. They are the only reason I am in the hobby honestly. My new pico is a DeepBlue Professional's 2g betta tank. Still not wet,but I made it a AIO,Jebao DC650,Stax Rock and its gonna be FUN !!!

20190719_134455.jpg 20190719_124744.jpg 20190719_124744.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my pico. It is doing great now that I dose and feed more.
I LOOOOVE the paint on the bottom idea! I want to run BB but where its going to be is fire engine red haha
Theres just so many different ways you can make a pico. step one should be easy: find a tank. but the rimmed vs rimless is a hard decision!
Im currently thinking 4.1 gal rimless with a diy 1/4'' acrylic lid. Ive worked with acrylic before but if I go rimmed then i can put the light straight on the lid. decisions, decisions lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back