Challenges along the way vs a smoothly running tank at all times

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that having challenges along way for alot of hobbyists makes it enjoyable. Conquering dinoflagellates, removing all hair algae once and for all, defeating a pest infestation and curing fish from disease that started to run rampant in ones tank can bring a great feeling of satisfaction. Plus adding in some new equipment, etc. It has for me at times.

Going thru a mini crash of sorts but anyway at the moment need to deal with a major hair algae problem. Ok cool. But by total accident I ran across a thread somewhere that suggested turning off the red and green spectrum of the LED lights for a few hours is great for knocking back algae because hair algae grow strongly on these 2 color spectrums. Wow, a few years into the hobby and I finally picked up on this.

So, it was one of those " what I don't know is what I don't know" moments. To the point where I was so darned happy that my 2 ecotech gen 4 pro lights uses 7 colors of the light spectrum that I can finally use to grow all kinds of coral and finally having good success with all kinds of corals growing...happy, happy! Until all the hair algae. Ok, saw the thread, called ecotech and they suggested a video as to how to adjust the color spectrums, all good. By happenchance stopped in a LFS, mentioned this all to them just having a convo and they said yeah, red and green not so good and when they set up lighting they automatically know to reduce. I am like, oh man to myself, wish I had known from day one! by the way the LFS was great and in 3 min reprogrammed for me on the app. Totally awesome, so thankful.

Then I got to thinking what if knew some info from day 1, such as:

- red and green light colors - keep them low = very low chance of getting hair algae
- zero phos + zero nitrates = flirting with the disasterous dinoflagelattes
- dosing everyday in small quantities instead of once week is necessary
- dipping corals for pests
- how critical it is to quarantine fish
and other things of this nature that i missed.

IF I knew all the above, chances are I would have no issues or a whole lot less issues and if I did know, I could spot one coming sooner. Let's extend this out some....

In theory, quite possibly I would have a problem free ish tank. What does this mean? Well, in 2 yrs of this 90 gal setup, I would most likely have way more corals growing, with a much more mature and much more pretty and vibrant tank to look at this at this point to look at at. What does this mean?

I would be much more confident to perhaps buy some of the nicer more expensive corals, great for the hobby. Might have a better feeling about adding a new piece of equipment, great for the hobby. More inclined to mention to friends, family to jump into the hobby, better for the hobby. Plus, I thought by now I would be seriously considering a pennisula tank and all the equip, etc great for the hobby ( this is on on hold no for a few yrs til I figure the 90 gal out).

IMHO, it is NOT ECONOMICALLY better for the hobby to have newbies deal with challenges along the way. No economic logic......

I know, I should have done more research, more hours looking at vids missing things I did not know that I should know, and trying to remember everything I saw and read, etc. I get it, I must be the Inspector Clouseau of reefkeeping...........back to the vids!

Last edited:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with my tank and work/ still work through them. I do feel accomplished when I reach my next goal. I would not change a thing in the experience. I think that is one part of this I like a challenge even if it is to challenge my own short comings and screw ups. in the end its about all them pretty corals and fish.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things in this hobby can be controversial, and not all things lead to same effects in different tanks. Mh or T5 lighting g had considerable red and green in them and tanks didnt.get algae blooms. I run my leds with 20-25 percent red and green but boost ll channels up to 100 percent for few hours a day as I like the more natural white look as well as for growth and have no algae I the tanks.... it's about experimenting and sees what works for ur tank and what doesn't and unfortunately mishaps and issues will always be part of the hobby or learning curve.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, constant issues within this hobby are inevitable no matter what level of knowledge you have and what methodology you apply.

The reality is we all are SIMULATING what occurs in Nature inside a tiny tiny stupid 4ft to 6ft GLASS BOX.. with limited water volume, with synthetic salt and artificial light.

We are cheating Nature in what we are all trying to recreate.

I'm actually SHOCKED we don't have MORE issues than we do.

This is not a trouble free, straightforward hobby.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit weird in a way to start a thread like this because for all those who read the thread are in the hobby, and already know they have the desire to deal with the issues the hobby presents. Alot of long term hobbyists have put in years and years of blood, sweat and tears, to see it through, and to make it a better hobby for all of us.

At this point, like so many others on here, I will go through the mishaps and learn from them best I can. It is an interesting part of the hobby even for me. Question is: how much time does one want to devote to this part of the hobby vs spending more time viewing the tank as a piece of living art in one's home?

I understand that when you put living things meant to live in a vast ocean into a small box, things are bound to happen.

It’s fascinating to me that we have a tendency to “defend the status quo”. It’s understandable. Especially, as mentioned above, for all the hobbyists who spent so many years paving the way for newcomers. There is rarely “a going forward” thought process to discuss.

For me. It’s where to put the emphasis on the next phases of the hobby. Vendors are doing a great job with technology such as LED lights, pumps, dosers, etc. Of course, I am looking forward to what the new ecotech light will be…prob more colors, technology etc. The growth of corals should be even better I imagine But…..

This leads to unintended consequences. Fast algae growth, water so clean dinoflagelattes spring up. The biological side of the hobby needs to keep pace with the technological or what’s the point of all the high end equip?

We have a a habit of sticking to our old paradigms and have a penchant for projecting them onto the new generations entering the hobby.

Who knows how many people leave the hobby or simply sut down tanks that we do not see? Is it 1 out of 10?, 3 out of 10?, 5 out of 10? No matter wouldn’t it be so cool to improve on the #? As I write this another person on Manhattan reefs is leaving the hobby. Sad to see.

Millennials, and younger generations are not going to have the patience to sort through long term issues. This is just a fact. There is no study on the planet that suggests otherwise. Don;t think millennials in this day and age are going to want to go thru long learning curves. No time. If tanks cannot be setup and maintained from the get go…….it’s just not a good long term business model. And to simply say….well all that happens, will happen and deal with it and you should know.

I would love my son to enter the hobby. He is 33 years old, him and his make good money. But he sees what I go thru, how messy it can look at times from the tank itself to buckets, etc. No way is his wife going to have a tank. Just too messy. I would love it that he would join the hobby so we can go to shows together, etc.

Plus, who knows how the hobby could advance if tanks did not have the annoying constant and likely biological issues. We would have a more constant piece of living art to enjoy for longer periods of time. Corals would grow for longer stretches across more hobbyists. Who knows what info could come about from a sharing of knowledge like this. Saving the oceans as we learn, etc.. Tweaking of chemicals while watching coral could provide valuable info. Its like right now we use 10% of our brains and that’s simply good enough. We do not know, we don’t know. ….

Another example is hobbyists can have more chances of breeding fish instead of constantly dealing with biological issues. So much can open up.

In your heart of hearts, does one really enter the hobby “to face challenges” or to build a piece of living art and to perhaps more pieces of art.

I think the hobby needs to focus more n the biological looking for a surefire way to PREVENT algae issues, to have better medications for quarantine and just as importantly the quicker we can have tanks and no water changes the faster the hobby would grow.

With high priced equip, high priced corals, etc these days....the hobby has to meet expectations, real or imagined.

Just my thoughts….

Last edited:

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think challenges/issues are part of the game even for the big dogs. I think a perfect tank 365 days a year is a farce. I think success is measured in different ways.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think challenges/issues are part of the game even for the big dogs. I think a perfect tank 365 days a year is a farce. I think success is measured in different ways.
Yes, agree the hobby as it exists today the challenges are part of the game. Does not mean we can't do a much better job of it. Just my opinion to help it along faster it is less about the equipment side of it, it is more about the biological side of it.

The trends are not going to change about how much time people have etc. For example, my wife at 60 yrs old decided just this week to go back to work full time. Now I really wish I did not have to do water changes etc.. This is a real life serious issue and to never have to do a water change, can't come soon enough for me, amongst other issues.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back