Chamber 1 media basket, fluvel evo 13.5

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, had my tank a week and new to the reef game so everything is pretty new to me. I have purchased the media basket from in tank for chamber 1. I was thinking filter floss at the top, juwel bioPLUS coarse, juwel nitrax, fluvel carbon then fluvel bio rings. Does this seem ok? What would you’s fill it with? Am i missing anything? Thanks

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, had my tank a week and new to the reef game so everything is pretty new to me. I have purchased the media basket from in tank for chamber 1. I was thinking filter floss at the top, juwel bioPLUS coarse, juwel nitrax, fluvel carbon then fluvel bio rings. Does this seem ok? What would you’s fill it with? Am i missing anything? Thanks
Personally I just got the Fluval flex 32.5 and I too got the baskets for my filter media. I’ve done a lot of looking around about this and there isn’t much out there on these AIO(all in one) tanks so I’ll be posting a thread today to try and get all of us Fluval Flex reefers together to discuss their findings and experience!
However, from what I’ve done and seen with mine, I use Floss, Biomedias (Fluval rings + Seachem Matrix) and Fluval Carbon. I purchased the nitrax media as well but after my first week of treating with some BioSpira and Tim’s All in One, my Amonia and nitrates have been consistent at 0 and my nitrates are now close to 0 and I’m on day 11. This being said, I don’t believe it is necessary to use the Nitrax unless you have an ammonia issue. Letting the cycle happen As naturally as possible would be best in my opinion and I would try only using it if you have to.

I hope this helps and I hope you stop by the thread I’m going to create to charge your experience with us!

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just bought a Evo 13.5 tank. I’m still playing with mine. Intank makes good stuff I used them on the Biocubes. Filter Floss top, Chemipure Elite, Purigen. I’d go with Chemipure Elite over the fluval carbon or make your own.

Debating going to a basket as I speak. I bought the skimmer using stock filtration and just added Chaeto. I’m not that fond of the skimmer. But I figured why not try it. It does work pretty well for a crappy skimmer. The trick is its constant dialing. Nanos don’t really need the skimmer either.

One big tip. Run that stock filtration for a little while. You don’t need to go crazy till that tank cycles and it’s going to take a long time as you slowly add things. So stick to the basics build your reef and test. You’ll probably be switching things up as far as filteration as time goes on. The bio balls aren’t bad I never used them. In my Biocubes lol. Live Rock make sure your around 10lbs. But if you have space why not.

Theirs a number of things you could do. If the tanks newer I’d probably just reuse the ceramic rings thrown in some chemical pure elite and purigen. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the replies and help. i will stop by your thread once it’s created... i’v orderd the filter floss for top with juwel bio coarse then will have the chemi pure blue followed by the marine bio balls.. how does this sound?

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Evo 13.5 tank. I’m still playing with mine. Intank makes good stuff I used them on the Biocubes. Filter Floss top, Chemipure Elite, Purigen. I’d go with Chemipure Elite over the fluval carbon or make your own.

Debating going to a basket as I speak. I bought the skimmer using stock filtration and just added Chaeto. I’m not that fond of the skimmer. But I figured why not try it. It does work pretty well for a crappy skimmer. The trick is its constant dialing. Nanos don’t really need the skimmer either.

One big tip. Run that stock filtration for a little while. You don’t need to go crazy till that tank cycles and it’s going to take a long time as you slowly add things. So stick to the basics build your reef and test. You’ll probably be switching things up as far as filteration as time goes on. The bio balls aren’t bad I never used them. In my Biocubes lol. Live Rock make sure your around 10lbs. But if you have space why not.

Theirs a number of things you could do. If the tanks newer I’d probably just reuse the ceramic rings thrown in some chemical pure elite and purigen. But that’s just me.
Ok thanks for the tip i will keep running the stock filtration until tank cycles... i just have a bit filter floss in with it at the moment as well....how long do you think i should run stock before upgrading?I do a weekly 10% Water change.

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the tip i will keep running the stock filtration until tank cycles... i just have a bit filter floss in with it at the moment as well....how long do you think i should run stock before upgrading?I do a weekly 10% Water change.
Run it for awhile use it up. If your tanks new your not going to need good filtration until you have more bio load. The Fluval filteration isn’t garbage. It’s just not that great. So I would see how things go as the tank ages then spend the money.

I’m still running stock filtration. I may ditch the skimmer for an Intank basket one day. I had Intank products on my Biocubes. Personally run the stock stuff until you get things going. Save the money upgrade as it’s needed.

image.jpg

Taking advantage of that refugium with a 12 watt ACKE grow light like mine. Intank sells it or go on Amazon. That I’d do first. Basket later or as needed. You may find you need purigen or GFO. Etc. As of now just run what’s free or $3.99 cents at Petco. It’s cheap. As the tank grows change it up. But right now you don’t need a media basket.

image.jpg

Just turned the lights on so corals are still opening.

image.jpg

Tiger pistol and watchman out to say hi.

Leave filtration stock until you start getting more of a bioload or strain on the tank. Then upgrade as needed. But yeah the go to upgrade is a basket. Eventually that sponge will be a nightmare but not for a long time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank bro! I think i will be purchasing a pistol shrimp and watchman in the future, funny little characters... I’v already bought the media basket but i’l just keep it aside for now... how often should i wash the sponge? Every water change or not so often?

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank bro! I think i will be purchasing a pistol shrimp and watchman in the future, funny little characters... I’v already bought the media basket but i’l just keep it aside for now... how often should i wash the sponge? Every water change or not so often?
I’d rinse it every water change. Just get the crap off. Those sponges become Nitrate factories. The Bio stuff I wouldn’t rinse very much. Keep the good bacteria. Yup your on the right track. Get that tank going with stock Media. Once things begin to settle in Switch to that basket. I wouldn’t add a skimmer. The baskets going to be all you need just keep up on water changes.

You could use Microbelift to raise the bacteria as well. Even when your tank cycles it’s still going to take a long time for things to balance and build. So any addition you make could throw things off. Any filtration change you make most definitely will. So just run it stock then add that basket when that tank has finished its cycle and began to establish bacteria and nutrients. That’s what I would do.

These Nanos need good filtration. But on a new tank stock is fine plus you don’t want to tick things off. It’ll be more forgiving as it ages.

Last edited:

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a watchman and Tiger or hi fin they’ll hide a lot. I wouldn’t add hermits very fast
If you do a yellow watchman goby and pistol don’t worry about not getting a pair. In a 13.5 EVO they’ll find each other fast. But stay away from hermits for a little while depending on how fast you get them in their. They are hiders and slow to grab food.

Every tank I have done it was always too really small clowns to get the tank going. One or Two reasons their bullet proof and that’s my favorite fish. I’ve had clowns in my tanks after 3 days of running. Depends on what you used to set it up. Live Rock or cycled rock and live sand and ocean water speeds up that process a ton.

This Evo did go through a Chemiclean treatment for Cyano. Things moved a little to fast. That’s why. It’s all in check now and the tank is almost 2 months. Go slowly
I had this tank up in a week so you know. Cuz I use cycled rock and ocean water and live sand. Had a Cyano outbreak. ChemiCleane
I never add corals first. Some corals are filter feeders. So I always do a pair of really small clowns. One or two. I usually try to buy them in a pair. It avoids the sex change somewhat. This tank I got Lucky. I know which ones the female lol. Then I’ll add corals I usually do filter feeders. If you do the pistol and Yellow watchman for hi fin they need food. Have a pair of forceps ready in case the food dosent get to the bottom of the tank. That’s why I would say go light on hermits etc for a cuc. Don’t be shocked either if they don’t come out for days. I had royal grammas they can get bigger they’ll bark at the clowns. It’s a Nano so start thinking soon. Usually I go fish first a few corals. Etc. I rehomed a pair of Clarkii Clowns in a 14 gallon Biocube. Holy crap did they get big but it was fun until I sold them.

The only fish I lost was a Clown Goby. Every Nano I have done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a watchman and Tiger or hi fin they’ll hide a lot. I wouldn’t add hermits very fast

If you do a yellow watchman goby and pistol don’t worry about not getting a pair. In a 13.5 EVO they’ll find each other fast. But stay away from hermits for a little while depending on how fast you get them in their. They are hiders and slow to grab food.

Every tank I have done it was always too really small clowns to get the tank going. One or Two reasons their bullet proof and that’s my favorite fish. I’ve had clowns in my tanks after 3 days of running. Depends on what you used to set it up. Live Rock or cycled rock and live sand and ocean water speeds up that process a ton.

This Evo did go through a Chemiclean treatment for Cyano. Things moved a little to fast. That’s why. It’s all in check now and the tank is almost 2 months. Go slowly

I had this tank up in a week so you know. Cuz I use cycled rock and ocean water and live sand. Had a Cyano outbreak. ChemiCleane

I never add corals first. Some corals are filter feeders. So I always do a pair of really small clowns. One or two. I usually try to buy them in a pair. It avoids the sex change somewhat. This tank I got Lucky. I know which ones the female lol. Then I’ll add corals I usually do filter feeders. If you do the pistol and Yellow watchman for hi fin they need food. Have a pair of forceps ready in case the food dosent get to the bottom of the tank. That’s why I would say go light on hermits etc for a cuc. Don’t be shocked either if they don’t come out for days. I had royal grammas they can get bigger they’ll bark at the clowns. It’s a Nano so start thinking soon. Usually I go fish first a few corals. Etc. I rehomed a pair of Clarkii Clowns in a 14 gallon Biocube. Holy crap did they get big but it was fun until I sold them.

Thanks for the help mate! I have started with a pair of clowns also.. i’v been told the female is the bigger one... kind of bullies him, he sit up in corner next to pump as you can see in pic. Will hold off the hermits and go for gobby and shrimp then maybe a yellow fish or something. Couple snails

2CAF3C58-37B7-43BB-8E69-14ABD49542D8.jpeg

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or would i be able to fit another orange and white clown or would that cause problems?

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or would i be able to fit another orange and white clown or would that cause problems?
2 Clowns and it’s done. Clowns are pigs when it comes to eating a 3rd in that small a tank will cause problems. The Goby isn’t a bad way to go as their small and will spend time in the sand and cave. Plus yeah the Pistol is always a fun pair. Stay light on the snails especially while the tanks new. Right now I have 2 Small blue leg hermits and 3 Astrea snails and I’m not set on it. I’d probably do just a couple of snails and a hermit. But you could probably skip the hermit all together. Cerith isn’t bad. Trochus. Just don’t add too many as the foods not their for them to eat yet.

Clown fish will host anything lol. The pump is always a go too or a mag float hahaha. Right now mine are taking intrest in my elegance coral. Elegance used to be easy. I might of got lucky mine opened up right away. Only reason I bought it $39 bucks the size was decent and it was from Australia so I figured best chance.

You could do a Royal Gramma but Id skip the Goby. He’s going to bark at the clowns I love the colors too but he will find himself a cave. Every Nano I usually do 2 Clowns and a Goby or 2 Clowns and a Royal Gramma and call it a day. Theirs a few options out their. If you do 2 clowns and add another fish. You want small and something that hangs out lower portion of the tank. This way they got their space. It’s a 1-3 Nano Fish tank tops. So your at the limit.

I tend to agree with all that. Royal Gramma I did in 14 gallon BioCube. Worked well. But in this tank I’m not sure I’d do it. The clowns are going to be the star of the show. They are going to run that tank. So you need something small that’ll run the lower portion of the tank. Stay away from anything that eats algae etc. You don’t have it yet.

The Nano Dilemma lol. Some guys do a pair of Firefish or damsels. Well with those clowns that’s probably out of the question. Clowns can be aggressive and so can other fish. The clowns are going to swim the tank but mainly above your reef or corals. So for a 3rd fish start thinking bottom dwellers peaceful or hides in rock work. Below is a picture of my biocube the Royal Gramma is barking at clowns he was out for the feeding. They left each other alone and swam back in the rock work. He comes out when he feels like it. But generally swims the lower to mid portion of the tank while the clowns swim upper to mid. You got to start thinking about that when it comes to your third fish. Unless you really want that Tiger and Goby Pair I’d consider corals next and hold off on the 3rd. But wait until that tank cycles and ages.

151BAC92-6670-497A-9723-14BAC234AE5C.jpeg

Nice Job on the rock-work by the way!!

Last edited:

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much info. Lol Sorry. I can write. Hope that gives you some ideas. I’ve done a lot of Nanos. You don’t want to go 4th fish. Technically your at capacity with Fish now. Back in the day 2 Clowns was bad for anything less than 30 gallons. That’s changed a ton. But then again so has Reefing technology. If you do a goby. You’ll need to make sure it eats after a few days as it’s going to hide a lot. The trick is to make sure he receives the pellets before everything else without over feeding as you can’t in a Nano. I only feed every 3 days. Theirs a ton you’ll have to think about as time goes on. So plan ahead. But so far it’s looking good. Keep up on water changes do research make sure things work take the next step. You could probably drop in that media basket after about a month but right now just run stock while things build up.

Nanos aren’t hard. They are easy. But figuring things out and getting them established is the trick. Your water change percentage is probably going to be less once you get that media basket in. Right now it’s harboring good bacteria which is why I say leave it for another month. These tanks depending on the bio load your around 2-5 gallons per week. No less than 2 and no more than 5. Feeding is going to make a difference. You feed every other day it’ll be more. So it’s up to you. But you gotta figure all that out. Once you do you’ll barely have to test water and just stick to the routine. I did 5 gallons every 2 weeks in that biocube. But right around the water change my corals would get a little depressed. So I’d stick to weekly water changes.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back