chance of copper band eating sps

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking of buying a butterfly mainly a copper band to get ride of some Aiptasia i cant get to in the back of the tank. i was wondering would i have to worry about him eating my sps. most of my sps are frags.

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your safe putting him in with an all sps tank.....just dont put any LPS or any softies or they are going to be a snack :)

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a copperband for 1 year, in a tank full of sps, lps, a few softies, zoos, mushrooms, and a featherduster. The only problem I have had, is it picking at the feather duster once in a while. Copperbands are generally reef safe, but every fish can vary on this. Just try it, and it will probably be fine, but watch him closely at first. Mine won't eat the frozen foods I feed the rest of the fish, but picks the copapods off of the rocks all day.

OP
OP
W

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks and would it be better to get a tiny one or a medium size one

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you have posted about your current stocklist, I wouldn't add any other fish. There are other creatures that you can get to eat aiptasia though.

kfennell

New Hobbyisy Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB's in my and my clubs experience are reef safe except that they will eat clams and feather dusters.

cpage3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didnt pick on any lps or sps for me, but he did pick on a feather duster

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? wow im suprised that a few ppl have posted that they are reef safe.... i work at a store and i get that they arent reef safe all the time. I have had to take some out of tanks because they were eating LPS and softies so maybe you guys are just lucky.
IMO if you dont want the hassle buy 5-6 pep. Shrimp and let them take care of it, but if you want to chance it get a CBB.

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my CBB for 3 years, hasnt touched any SPS at all. He does nip at my pom-pom. It took me 3 clams before I realized why they were dying. I figured it was crabs or something till I saw the CBB going in for the kill. He doesnt seem to bother anything else.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back