Chance to Go Bigger, Sump and filering ?'s

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just informed by my better half were getting new carpet and my 120 DT is in the way. I made a deal and for my participation I get to upgrade to a 135-150G, location mde that the size determination. I'm currently running a fish only tank but would like some low light corals (zoa garden) or something to add the the mix. not a large collection still gonna concentrate on fish since after 3 plus decades that's where my comfort zone is.
I've never used a sump but was going to this time. I want to keep it as simple as possible,.
1. Can I do water changes from the sump if I'm not vacuuming the gravel bed?
2. Since it's primarily a Fish tank is there any need for a refugium?
3. Do most ATO systems have there own pump, any system suggestions.
4. If the return pump fails how to I prevent a flood, is there any easy way to determine how much water would siphon down to the sump, I should have room for a 40 g tank in the cabinet.
5.. I'm building a six leg steel frame stand, what size sq. tubing 1" to 1.25". It's been on a Oak Stand for 30 plus years.
6. Any quality tank brand or supplier suggestions? I'm in SoCal.
Any input would be appreciated, going with a Euro Brace Tank and since it's in a corner was considering Pennisula since the better half likes changing out backgrounds,. UGH.
TIA

IMG_5155 (1).jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A sump is a handy chamber to allow easy servicing of components. You control the height at the onset and do a test with pump unplugged to determine if it will get high and flood over
ATO have their own pumps. A tefugium stocked with chaeto will keep nitrates down but not necessary. Chemipure elite will do the same
This can be exciting but also warrants careful planning and I suggest buying the best equipment you cannot afford and it will serve you and last a LONG time

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would build the stand and carpet around it

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that discussion with the better half, appreciates the thought process but wants the carpet installed completely should we move in a year or 2. Current tank hs been on berber for 15 years and I move the tank out ant when we hd the carpet cleaned you couldn't tell the tank had been there. If she didn't want a diferent color we wouldn't be doing this, but if we don't do this I don't get to upgrade. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back