Change of direction... Needing some advice

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for the last month or so I have been working on converting my 55G tank over to a reef. I had a pretty solid game plan in mind for what I wanted to achieve. Last night, I came across a deal that was too good to pass up. Now I am faced with a new challenge.

I now have a 120G bowfront tank that is a reef ready setup, built in overflow, sump, skimmer, ect ect. This obviously will now become my reef tank. So my 55 I am thinking will make a very nice tank for a FOWLR setup.

I have been kicking around the idea of a 120G predator tank (which is why I was on CL last night). If I am going to downsize to the 55, I need some ideas for a stock list. I still would like a predator tank, but I fear the smaller tank will make my proposed stock list (Humu Humu Trigger, Blue Spot Grouper, Snowflake eel, and Lionfish) all but impossible to fully realize.

If you were going to set up a 55G fish only tank, what would you stock it with?

Thanks,
Steve

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank! Remember that the 55g is a narrow tank and, by the time you add a rockscape, there is limited space for a large fish to turn around or maneuver. Good luck with whatever you choose!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with Peace River... I'd go reef in the 55 and predator in the 120 bowfront. You can build a spectacular reef in a 55 and those glorious predators will look amazing in a bow front.
life sciences fish GIF

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunar Wrasse for your 120 FOWLER. Buy him now, and start growing him out to 6-7”... an incredible, active fish that can hang with the big fellows!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are challenges and opportunities with any direction. One of the challenges with a reef in the 55g is that you have to choose the lighting carefully because many puck style LED lights will create light spill because the tank is narrow. BTW I have (3) 55g tanks, as well as several others, so I don’t mean to be bashing them but I am aware of some of their limitations. Two of the tanks I have sub-divided for clownfish pairs and the other one is set up as a Tampa Bay biotope tank with native fishes, inverts, and aquascaping.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with Peace River... I'd go reef in the 55 and predator in the 120 bowfront. You can build a spectacular reef in a 55 and those glorious predators will look amazing in a bow front.

I agree that the 120 would be a spectacular predator tank. However, as I said, it is basically a reef ready setup. I definitely like the idea of the larger tank for the reef as it opens up options for a larger stock list.

I am not "set in stone" on a predator tank, especially for the 55. A nice FOWLR of peaceful smaller community fish would be awesome too. I just want a tank that will give the feeling of life and activity. Where this tank will be placed, it will be the first thing people see when entering my house.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 dwarf lions and 2 snowflake eels in a 75 and I think they would be fine in a 55. None are active swimmers.
You would need a really good skimmer. My dwarf lions require live food though. It's all they will eat.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought an angler would be cool to have. Also dwarf angels or butterflies since you can't have them in a reef tank.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering a FOWLR and I can only get the fish I would like in a big tank, 300 gal or more. I don't know how interesting you can get a predator tank if you limit it to 55 gal. If it doesn't have an overflow I would just go with a fresh water planted tank or perhaps something more specialized like seahorses or something. Of course, this is only my opinion and yours may vary.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back