changed my aquascape in my 20 gal

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I just changed my aquascape in my 20 cube for the last time I could decide and no I'm settled the tank is 11 months old I have changed the aquascape 4 times and I finally like how it looks I have gotten some cyano and diatoms for changing the rock I kept some of the last rock I had to keep some of the biodiversity etc I'm wondering should be concerned about anything what should I expect and what can I do I have vacuumed out some of the cyano and it seems to struggle coming back the diatoms are from changing the rock it not like adding completely new sand right how long do you think it will take to go away thanks in advance. BTW I do weekly 20% WC and feed every other day

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usually caused by an imbalance of nutrients and a lack of biodiversity. Tons of ways to reduce/balance nutrients. And there are lots of methods to increase biodiversity: add coral, add phytoplankton (worked for me to clear cyano), add bottled bacteria. You need to outcompete it.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usually caused by an imbalance of nutrients and a lack of biodiversity. Tons of ways to reduce/balance nutrients. And there are lots of methods to increase biodiversity: add coral, add phytoplankton (worked for me to clear cyano), add bottled bacteria. You need to outcompete it.
yah the tank is 11 months old and I have bio-media in the back and I have 6 corals so I don't think its bacteria or corals I'm guessing it nutrients i added bottled bacteria when i started the tank would phyto plankton help a lot? do you think adding some live rock like a pond or so could help if so were can i buy it without breaking the bank

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR would absolutely be the best thing to add, but is pretty expensive. Second to that imo is phytoplankton and is also reasonably cheap.

Bio-media in the back doesn't help increase your diversity, it just allows for more bacteria breeding grounds (but does not add new strains which is your problem.)

A single bottle of bacteria won't do much in terms of 'diversity' I'm afraid, they really only come with a few strains.

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I just changed my aquascape in my 20 cube for the last time I could decide and no I'm settled the tank is 11 months old I have changed the aquascape 4 times and I finally like how it looks I have gotten some cyano and diatoms for changing the rock I kept some of the last rock I had to keep some of the biodiversity etc I'm wondering should be concerned about anything what should I expect and what can I do I have vacuumed out some of the cyano and it seems to struggle coming back the diatoms are from changing the rock it not like adding completely new sand right how long do you think it will take to go away thanks in advance. BTW I do weekly 20% WC and feed every other day
Do you have any sort of CUC?

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through the same thing in my tank. I just adjusted my flow and it's helped tremendously. Also probably not relevant to your situation, but I'm adding a refugium Monday to pick up any extra nutrients, which would also let you feed more often. Don't know how that works with a nano setup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back