Changed my mind from Freshwater tank to Salt water..need help!

xpusanx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am very new to this aqua field and all of sudden, my wife and I decided to have fishes. At that time, we had no idea between freshwater vs salt water.
The aquarium we went was freshwater main and convinced by easier maintnance and cheaper price than saltwater . So, we bought a 65 Gallon fish tank with stand, hang-over filter and stuff. (thermometer, heater,LED lights,
I've been keep looking and googling, we really love saltwater fishes and corals, so we changed our mind to Salt water.
Unfortunately, all sales are final so not able to return the tank($320) and filter($120) which is the most expensive stuff. I can return the stand ($250). No fishes were in it, but did a water cycle.

for fishes and corals, my dilemma is
  • sell online the tank and filter as used - not even a half price and return the stand, then buy the saltwater tank with a sump. $$$$
  • convert the tank with a sump by drilling holes. I have not done it and little afraid.
  • or go with a existing filter system. Not sure if I can keep up with frequent water changes.
What would be the best option or what would you do?
Please help. My kids are waiting on Nemos. I already promised, so I can't take it back.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filter and what kind of light? The heater will probably be good in either.
There is nothing wrong with using the tank - a glass box is a glass box.
Sump filtration is not required for saltwater - I am currently using a hang on back (tidal 55) on my 40 breeder tank. You can always keep the current filter and get another one built for saltwater for extra filtration. It’s good to keep equipment because you never know when you will need it. And this hobby never stops at one tank lol
Even if you stick with freshwater - there ate some amazing things you can do. For example, the African rift lake cichlids look just like they came from saltwater.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filter and what kind of light? The heater will probably be good in either.
Sump filtration is not required for saltwater - I am currently using a hang on back (tidal 55) on my 40 breeder tank. You can always keep the current filter and get another one built for saltwater for extra filtration. It’s good to keep equipment because you never know when you will need it. And this hobby never stops at one tank lol
Even if you stick with freshwater - there ate some amazing things you can do. For example, the African rift lake cichlids look just like they came from saltwater.
For a 40 you can use a HOB filter.

Expect to drop some serious cash as saltwater costs are higher than freshwater. Lighting for sucessful corals is not cheap.

You're going to be doing weekly minimum 5 gal water changes - no way around that. So you will need RODI filter unless you like carrying 5 gal saltwater home every week.

Expect to spend $200 on test kits, and PLEASE do not buy API kits. Use Salifert or Red Sea

Do a lot of reading before jumping in...

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am very new to this aqua field and all of sudden, my wife and I decided to have fishes. At that time, we had no idea between freshwater vs salt water.
The aquarium we went was freshwater main and convinced by easier maintnance and cheaper price than saltwater . So, we bought a 65 Gallon fish tank with stand, hang-over filter and stuff. (thermometer, heater,LED lights,
I've been keep looking and googling, we really love saltwater fishes and corals, so we changed our mind to Salt water.
Unfortunately, all sales are final so not able to return the tank($320) and filter($120) which is the most expensive stuff. I can return the stand ($250). No fishes were in it, but did a water cycle.

• sell online the tank and filter as used - not even a half price and return the stand, then buy the saltwater tank with a sump. $$$$
  • convert the tank with a sump by drilling holes. I have not done it and little afraid.
  • or go with a existing filter system. Not sure if I can keep up with frequent water changes.
Please help. My kids are waiting on Nemos. I already promised, so I can't take it back.
Welcome. There’s more than one way to run a saltwater tank, you should be grand. Please google some of Randy Holmes Farley’s articles. Here’s one to wet your whistle;

OP
OP
X

xpusanx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. Light is Fluval Skey LED2 I believe 35 watt (I am going to return this) and filter is Hagen AquaClear 110 filter, this I cannot return.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely return the light. Great for grown my plants but not so much for corals.
The filter could work, but others who know more about filters than me could advise better there - just also get a powerhead for extra flow.

trippcast98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to spend serious cash, check the prices of frags and saltwater fish prior to jumping in. I have a 28 gallon nano cube that I have put over $1200 into in the past 2 months. And I’m gonna be honest, to get it the way I want it to look it will cost me probably another $3000 over the next year or so. Reefing is expensive.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the sump. I run a 45 on a Fluval canister filter, and intend to do the same for my 65. Just going to keep it simple. If you are just going to keep fish no need for pricy lights, and if light on fish remove ammonia the same as you would do with freshwater ( water changes, and even are ammonia pads). If you are going to go coral then you have to start by adding rock before fish. Articles no this on Bulk Reef Supply videos, and articles on this site. Salt water is easier to maintain then fresh as far as I am concerned doing it for 57 years plus

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
convert the tank with a sump by drilling holes. I have not done it and little afraid.
How big is the tank? If you want to drill I can tag 2 diy guys who can give advice. If you know how to keep a drill stable, maybe it wont be so bad. But, the extra equipment needed to drill and figuring out what flowbox you want to go with, will also be more $$.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BY THE WAY MY 45. With mushroom coral. The siplist and cheapest to keep will breed
20211127_111557voltage 1.jpg

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Okay. First of all, ditch the whole sump idea. Get an AIO (all in one) that has a built-in rear sump with added filtration, media, built-in return pump, space for heaters, etc. Brands I highly vouch for are Redsea and Waterbox.
Here is what you need in addition to the AIO tank:
-heater
-auto top off (to constantly replace evaporated water)
-Electronic Refractometer (invest in a good one, make it easy on yourself. it will pay off)
-LED
THAT'S IT

Start by getting the saltwater from your local fish store, later upgrade to a RODI and mix your own salt water.

Don't pack the tank, and you will be fine with a very small water change on a weekly basis. Changing a couple of gallons of water every week is a very simple and quick task. It only turns into a chore when you make it into one (ex deciding to siphon sand, clean up algae, etc).

If you really want it to go for it, trust me you will enjoy it, I'm sure many other reef keepers here will vouch. If you intend this to be a budget or cheap hobby, don't do it, as you will be setting yourself up for stress and failure from the start by cheaping out on the setup. Spend a little more, and make it a fun and enjoyable experience!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay. First of all, ditch the whole sump idea. Get an AIO (all in one) that has a built-in rear sump with added filtration, media, built-in return pump, space for heaters, etc. Brands I highly vouch for are Redsea and Waterbox.
Here is what you need in addition to the AIO tank:
-heater
-auto top off (to constantly replace evaporated water)
-Electronic Refractometer (invest in a good one, make it easy on yourself. it will pay off)
-LED
THAT'S IT

Start by getting the saltwater from your local fish store, later upgrade to a RODI and mix your own salt water.

Don't pack the tank, and you will be fine with a very small water change on a weekly basis. Changing a couple of gallons of water every week is a very simple and quick task. It only turns into a chore when you make it into one (ex deciding to siphon sand, clean up algae, etc).

If you really want it to go for it, trust me you will enjoy it, I'm sure many other reef keepers here will vouch. If you intend this to be a budget or cheap hobby, don't do it, as you will be setting yourself up for stress and failure from the start by cheaping out on the setup. Spend a little more, and make it a fun and enjoyable experience!
With the standard dimensions of a 65g aquarium. Assuming it isn't a cube, he could covert the tank into an AIO. He could run a peninsula style.

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the standard dimensions of a 65g aquarium. Assuming it isn't a cube, he could covert the tank into an AIO. He could run a peninsula style.
I personally would just buy another tank. Converting a tank into an AIO is a mission in its self

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Go buy a sump, pump and heaters. The tank will do great. Buy a good book on the basics. You can get rid of your old stuff for pennies on the dollar and spend thousands on a package or just use what you've got and buy the sump and lights. Good luck either way. You'll be fascinated by the animals you can keep happy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back