Changing from fresh water to salt water

RAP

dedragon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
hob for mechanical filtration is fine, you usually also need a powerhead for extra flow and gas exchange. Matters the tank size
Light is gonna be very important as well for corals, not for fowlr
Protein skimmer is 100% not necessary for any reef tank but can make o2 exchange and organics (stuff that causes nitrate and phosphate to increase and more) easier to control.
Take a look at that brs stuff its good

umersaleem0388

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is probably a silly question but I’m going to ask anyway. I have a tank that I’ve had up for a few weeks of fresh water fish and a snail. I kept going back and forth if I wanted to do salt or fresh started with fresh now I’m gonna go to salt since that’s what I really want. My question is can take everything out clean it and just add salt to tank? I used spring water I have those 5 gallon jugs that are in most doctors offices. What are the repercussions if you just add the salt mix it and add and live rock/sand etc to start cycle. I know cycle takes awhile so I want to start ASAP. Thanks in advance.
How big is your tank?

adittam

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
45 gallon.
Take a look at my build thread (click on the "build thread contributor" badge under my username) to see how I put together a very budget-friendly 46 gallon reef system (all equipment is itemized with prices I paid on page 2 of the thread). Feel free to ask any questions that you have!

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just started a build on a 40gal breeder. All diy from overflow to a 20gal sump. I'm hoping to start a build thread soon. You would be surprised buy how much you can put into salt verses fresh water a system.

Uncle99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I used conditioned tap water to fill my tank, added salt and rock, good flow and just let that cook.
From that point forward I used RODI.
Zero difference at one year point in starting with tap vs. rodi. D28F8112-F40B-40D6-87B3-1267E88D1FCB.jpeg

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 156 41.1%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 168 44.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 3.2%