Changing from fresh water to salt water

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a silly question but I’m going to ask anyway. I have a tank that I’ve had up for a few weeks of fresh water fish and a snail. I kept going back and forth if I wanted to do salt or fresh started with fresh now I’m gonna go to salt since that’s what I really want. My question is can take everything out clean it and just add salt to tank? I used spring water I have those 5 gallon jugs that are in most doctors offices. What are the repercussions if you just add the salt mix it and add and live rock/sand etc to start cycle. I know cycle takes awhile so I want to start ASAP. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. That’s what I would think. I have no ammonia nitrate or nitrite in this tank. I’m planning on rehoming the 2 fish I have today.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a silly question but I’m going to ask anyway. I have a tank that I’ve had up for a few weeks of fresh water fish and a snail. I kept going back and forth if I wanted to do salt or fresh started with fresh now I’m gonna go to salt since that’s what I really want. My question is can take everything out clean it and just add salt to tank? I used spring water I have those 5 gallon jugs that are in most doctors offices. What are the repercussions if you just add the salt mix it and add and live rock/sand etc to start cycle. I know cycle takes awhile so I want to start ASAP. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t use the water that already in the tank, it likely already has high nitrates and/or phosphates. Also, spring water is going to have a lot of dissolved solids/minerals in it which will encourage algae to grow, it’d be far better to use RODI or distilled water (either get a filter or buy from a store), mineral or spring water can be worse than tap water in terms of TDS. In switching from FW to SW, you’ll probably need some extra powerheads/wavemakers as SW tanks need much more flow than FW tanks, and depending on what kind of filtration you have, you may need to upgrade or supplement it. Also, if you’re planning on keeping corals or anemones, you’ll need to upgrade your lighting. But other than those few things, you should be able to switch to SW fairly easily.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. That’s what I would think. I have no ammonia nitrate or nitrite in this tank. I’m planning on rehoming the 2 fish I have today.
That's kind of irrelevant, tbh. The nitrifying bacteria in freshwater is completely different from that in saltwater.

Also, I would highly suggest against using anything but RODI water. You're just asking for algae problems, if you do.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use the water that’s already in the tank. It’s probably full of nasties.

Use fresh RO/DI water and mix the salt in a 5G bucket, or a Brute trash can. (According to the measurements on the salt package)

I would take everything out of the tank, clean the tank really well, and then add back in items that belong in a saltwater tank. Freshwater substrate does not belong in a saltwater tank.

What are your plans with the livestock?

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The livestock I was just going to donate. All I have is a guppy catfish and a snail. Ok good to know. I am glad I asked. I just bought a ton of spring water but at least it won’t go to waste since I can drink it haha.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I was going to get one probably next month on my next paycheck. I was just hoping to start so I can get cycle going, oh well.
Depending on how much disposable income you have, the RO Buddy on Amazon is super affordable, and will do the job. Just make sure you get the one with a DI cartridge, and spend the $10 or so on a TDS pen.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much disposable income you have, the RO Buddy on Amazon is super affordable, and will do the job. Just make sure you get the one with a DI cartridge, and spend the $10 or so on a TDS pen.
I was looking at that. What is a TDS pen?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the RO buddy rocks. Make sure to get the version with the DI filter.

You can get approximately 5 gallons every 35 minutes.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are pretty good video guide for saltwater beginners
Yes, the RO buddy rocks. Make sure to get the version with the DI filter.

You can get approximately 5 gallons every 35 minutes.
lol that actually seems really high flow, check your rejection rate on that

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find the 100gph with di. Can I just get it without and buy the di cartridge separate?
best to go with the 50gpd they put it together like that probably for a reason, idk if the higher flow rate would be an issue

Back