Changing from Red Sea coral pro to blue bucket ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers I want to Change from Red Sea coral pro to blue bucket with minimal stress to my sps I don’t like the higher alk and want to go for close to nsw. My alk is currently 11.8 what’s the best practice to go about this without upsetting my corals I.e acros ?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other things being equal... If you do small (like <10%) water changes, the alk will fall slowly and shouldn't upset anything. If you are worried, you can also add a buffer like sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) to the new water to raise its alkalinity slightly to lessen the stress.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers I want to Change from Red Sea coral pro to blue bucket with minimal stress to my sps I don’t like the higher alk and want to go for close to nsw. My alk is currently 11.8 what’s the best practice to go about this without upsetting my corals I.e acros ?
I had the opposite issue, bought pro by mistake and my alk started to increase from 8.5 to over 9.5 due to awcs of 1% daily. I run a modified triton method so I was able to dial back the alk addition to slowly bring the alk back to 8.3, over a month.
You might lower your alk dosing, assuming you do. Or mix the red and blue salts if you rely on water changes alone to lower the alk gradually.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slowly. I assume you are dosing so you could adjust that to allow for alk to come down naturally as you are making the switch.
Yes I dose afr I guess I should cut that out till parameters reach that of the blue bucket

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other things being equal... If you do small (like <10%) water changes, the alk will fall slowly and shouldn't upset anything. If you are worried, you can also add a buffer like sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) to the new water to raise its alkalinity slightly to lessen the stress.
Cal is elevated

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the last of my coral pro and mixed it 50/50 with blue bucket until I ran out when I decided I needed to change. Will bring your alk down slowly without any shock in my opinion. And you don't have to toss whats left of your pro salt. If your already out of the pro salt just do small water changes 10% every week and things will be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back