Changing from Tapwater to RODI... best practices to make the switch?

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 525XL has been running for just over 7 months, using conditioned tapwater from the outset. Corals and fish are doing well (growth, color, etc.) but I've decided I'm not happy knowing that I am not doing the best I can regarding the quality of water I'm putting in my tank. Going forward I'll be using RODI for mixing new saltwater, filling my ATO reservoir, and for cleaning and rinsing equipment and materials.

So, as I'm currently waiting for my BRS 4-stage Value Plus RODI system to be delivered, I'm looking for advice (better yet for actual experiences) to help make the switch as effectively as possible, without detrimental changes. I'd like to minimize / eliminate any residual effects from my initial use of conditioned tapwater. I know... "start with RODI", but that ship has sailed.

I'll be doing daily testing through the change, so I can monitor for any parameter swings. One thing I will definitely be going after is a reduction in phosphates, which are currently at 0.25ppm.

Thanks in advance.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just continue with your regular maintenance schedule using rodi water. .
It will eventually work itself out and not cause any issues .
Test phosphates , nitrates along with any other parameters as you normally would .

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, 10% water changes and rodi top up water, it’ll be changed over to the new water in a couple of months.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to minimize / eliminate any residual effects from my initial use of conditioned tapwater.
Curious to know what you mean by "residual effects"?

What ill-effects are you expecting if you immediately change over to all RODI including a series of 10-20% water changes?

OP
OP
DJMCB35

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know what you mean by "residual effects"?

What ill-effects are you expecting if you immediately change over to all RODI including a series of 10-20% water changes?

I’ve read a number of folks, in various forums, contend that any phosphates and silica which might have been introduced will continue to plague them forever, whether through leaching (the term often used) or some residual affect.

My gut tells me any effects will diminish with time, until they’re largely gone.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read a number of folks, in various forums, contend that any phosphates and silica which might have been introduced will continue to plague them forever, whether through leaching (the term often used) or some residual affect.

My gut tells me any effects will diminish with time, until they’re largely gone.
People say a lot of stuff they have no evidence to support, I think you’re worrying about an unlikely scenario.

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing exactly what you are doing. My tank was moved to replace some flooring, local fish shop did water changes for me with RODI.

I set my RODI system up while tank was getting ready to come back. I have been topping off and doing water changes with RODI. Certain corals have begun to open up more fully, others corals
Unchanged. My nitrates haven’t gone done that much yet but since all my gosh died from velvet during the move process. I expect nitrates to one done quickly with continued water changes

let me know if you have questions with setup of RODI....Your fellow RODI newb..

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don't have a problem (ugly diatom carpets) with silica now, then you are not going to have a problem with silica if you put less in your tank. Fwiw I dose it on purpose.

As for phosphate, your rock and sand would have accumulated that either way, would just have taken longer until it became apparent, so unless your level is sky high right now I wouldn't worry about it.

Other stuff like heavy metals and drug/hormone residues from tap water, again, if it's not an issue now, it's not going to be an issue if you stop putting it on and gradually remove it via waterchanges. Maybe run activated carbon at some point if you think you have issues with that.

Back