Changing Out Sand?

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank about 7+ years ago which I started over 10 years ago. Anyways, I used playground sand for that old tank and so when starting my new tank thought that was the best course of action again - what a bargain, right? Now I'm reading a lot more about how it can be harmful and actually cut animals. My other concern was whether the sand was helping to buffer Ph and such because my Ph is low and that was how it was in my old tank also...steady but very low. I am on month three and as you can imagine with silicate sand I'm going through quite a diatom bloom but also the rest of the tank is preparing for coraline algae.
Here's the question: should I remove my sand & replace it with argonite sand? I do have a few nassarius snails. I was hoping to eventually have a sand sitting goby. Or should I accept my fate and give up on my plans for a sand sifter?
Thanks!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it. But I believe removing all that established bacteria could start a cycle again I’ve heard. I have had luck myself doing something similar but added a bottle of fritz zyme 9 and turned off skimmer and Uv and never saw ammonia

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I did a quarter of the tank at a time once a week(?) Over a month's time and have Fritz on hand just incase? Or perhaps I could take half the sand out and put argonite base on top? I'm just wondering how imperative it is that I get rid of the playground sand I guess. Is there a better subject area to ask this perhaps?

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I did a quarter of the tank at a time once a week(?) Over a month's time and have Fritz on hand just incase? Or perhaps I could take half the sand out and put argonite base on top? I'm just wondering how imperative it is that I get rid of the playground sand I guess. Is there a better subject area to ask this perhaps?
I was watching a thread last week (bc I’m considering going bare bottom) where they did exactly this. They said they had no problems.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphoned all of my sand out of 180+ gallon tank. I had no issues. You should be fine if you have other bio bacteria supporting the system (live rock, seeded dry rock, bio spheres, cubes etc..). Tanks been bare bottom for 2 months now. I plan on adding Caribsea special grade which is a little bigger thank the fine sand. But yes it can be done.

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help folks! So....um....where do I buy dry sand?? LOL I can buy a few bags of live sand to help it along also.

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock only....should I maybe throw my HOB filter on and get a sponge or rock in there to get some extra bacteria source maybe?

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not home at the moment and dont have an updated photo but this is the amount of rock I've got in there. This was the first day I started cycling. Minus maybe 5-10lbs I removed a couple useless rocks. Still easily 40+lbs. I've got 2 clowns and a royal gramma* and a cleaner shrimp and a several CUC members (nassarius included)
Screenshot_20210314-135237_Facebook.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed and its more than enough. don't need bottle bac, or extra surface area its simply enough rocks for the swap. rinse the new sand with tap until perfectly cloudless, final rinse in RO, then ready for use/swap

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key issue for you is you need to get out the animals before you stir up old sand in the swap

as long as swirled waste doesn't contact them they'll handle the new setup just fine, net out fish as you are draining down, before things get muddy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back