Changing spectrum during the day - bad idea or good for growth ?

sebi1100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys ,

iam running 2 Radion G5 XR15 Pro over my 48x16x16” ( 120x40x40cm) lps shallow reef.
They r 10” above waterlevel and running at 70% with diffusors.

Iam using a modified Ecotec Lps template :

20% UV / 100 % violet, royal and blue / 5% red and green and 15% warm and coolwhite for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.

Between these I increase just coolwhite from standard 15% to 35% for 4 hours - I like the whiter look at noon/afternoon. All other channels remains the same .

Do u guys think that’s a nice program for an lps tank or is it bad in general to change the spectrum during the day a bit whiter for a few hours ? ( no matter which lamp ) .

thanks for ur opinions :)

greetings

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the EcoTech templates will in fact have a period of whiter light during the day, so it’s totally fine. I have more blues in the morning and late afternoon and everything seems to be doing fine.

Ultimately the deciding factor will be if you’re getting enough PAR to the areas of your tank that need it.

OP
OP
S

sebi1100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I think I have 80-100 everywhere in the tank .

Maybe I increase the lights from 70% to 85% slowly within 2 weeks and see how corals react

At the moment some(not all) lps closing a little bit in the last 2 hours of the light period compare to noon/afternoon but I think that’s normal ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back