Changing Substrate from Gravel to sand.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

I set up a new tank it’s 3 - 4 weeks old and cycled.

It has a few clowns and coral.

I messed up and put gravel, now I wish I didn’t... I like the look of sand.

question:

If I water change into a plastic tub with a heater and a wave maker. Take everything out. Add live sand to help with the loss of bacteria and put everything back into the tank including the water.

Will this work?

32g Biocube
Alk 9.9
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
Calcium 450
PH 8.15
Phosphate 0.5
Magnesium 1380
Temp 79
Salinity 1.026

appreciate the help

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand in the bag probably won't make up for the loss and not sure 3-4 weeks is enough for the rocks to have a sufficient cycling time to support immediately. That said, it's probably enough to allow you do what you want if plan on a couple big WC. The bacteria populations would come up quick since it's already cycled. I would just make sure I have plans for the WC if needed.

Alternatively, you could do it in stages...but I'd probably want to do it all at once too since it's early on.

Good luck!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

I set up a new tank it’s 3 - 4 weeks old and cycled.

It has a few clowns and coral.

I messed up and put gravel, now I wish I didn’t... I like the look of sand.

question:

If I water change into a plastic tub with a heater and a wave maker. Take everything out. Add live sand to help with the loss of bacteria and put everything back into the tank including the water.

Will this work?

32g Biocube
Alk 9.9
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
Calcium 450
PH 8.15
Phosphate 0.5
Magnesium 1380
Temp 79
Salinity 1.026

appreciate the help
I think you would be fine if you did that. I put crushed coral down and disliked it as it mixed too much in ( crushed coral took over as the sand stayed below it.)
what I did was take everything out, had backup water on hand scrubbed everything in my tank.. and heres where it gets interesting... I PREWASHED my live sand... Yes you will think I am crazy.. but the live sand was fine after I washed it.. I washed it to get all the silty and dusty material out of it. I then spread the sand down, placed rocks safely back in the tank and filled it all up..

If you want to fall into the rabbithole regarding rinsing sand... there are some great threads on here... I can now do whatever tank management I need to and my sand doesnt turn my tank into a bowl of dust... oh yeah i didnt use those magnet cleaners either!!

Here are some good reads...

also @brandon429 is very informative!

hope this helps... I learned the hard way :p

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine if you did that. I put crushed coral down and disliked it as it mixed too much in ( crushed coral took over as the sand stayed below it.)
what I did was take everything out, had backup water on hand scrubbed everything in my tank.. and heres where it gets interesting... I PREWASHED my live sand... Yes you will think I am crazy.. but the live sand was fine after I washed it.. I washed it to get all the silty and dusty material out of it. I then spread the sand down, placed rocks safely back in the tank and filled it all up..

If you want to fall into the rabbithole regarding rinsing sand... there are some great threads on here... I can now do whatever tank management I need to and my sand doesnt turn my tank into a bowl of dust... oh yeah i didnt use those magnet cleaners either!!

Here are some good reads...

also @brandon429 is very informative!

hope this helps... I learned the hard way :p
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of washing live sand! I’ll definitely read these threads.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of washing live sand! I’ll definitely read these threads.
Anytime buddy!

Like I said, I didn't know about it either... then reef2reef taught me everything!

you might even come across my pictures I posted when I did the rinsing and swap!

Good luck!

Back