Changing the background color of a stock aquarium

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a rather random question. For tanks that already come with a pre-colored background (almost always black); how would one change the background color if desired? (Or is this even possible)

For reference: I am looking into an Innovative Marine tank (EXT 150) with a black painted rear glass panel. It seems Krylon Fusion is only really for plastic. Is there a paint that can be used for glass, or another option?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with the tanks you are talking about. I know some of the IM tanks come with smoked black glass for the back panel, but that is not painted.

As far as painting generally enamel and some acrylic paints work well on glass. You would not want to paint those on the inside of the tank though so if you got a clear glass back it is easy just paint the outside of the tank. If it is colored glass that wont really help you.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as painting generally enamel and some acrylic paints work well on glass. You would not want to paint those on the inside of the tank though so if you got a clear glass back it is easy just paint the outside of the tank.
Understood about painting the back. But I am interested if there are any options for painting/changing the color on the inside of the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always drop in a colored acrylic panel ..... polycarb even better.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always drop in a colored acrylic panel ..... polycarb even better.
Interesting. And use a Krylon paint to add the color then?

The only potential issue I see with this is keeping the panel flush with the back glass. I don't think I would want to silicone to the back in case I would want to change out the color.

Is there such thing as like a vinyl sticker or something equivalent if there is no paint safe solution that can be used inside the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of buying a colored panel is so you don't have to paint it. You can check out a place like ePlastics for colored acrylic panels. If you can access the back, and the tank is glass and just painted, you can always just scrape off the black and repaint. Krylon works fine on glass - I would not use it inside a tank though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back