Changing the spectrum of Chinese black box led light

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience changing the spectrum on their Chinese black box led light? I’ve read online that blue lights around 450nm and 10k white lights are best for coral growth? I was also wondering if I need to get rid of the red and green and yellow led’s. If I take them out should I replace them with blues or whites?

Here is a diagram of my current spectrum.

DF3B24D4-DE7D-4654-B86D-4060EB0EEA0D.png

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're comfortable soldering, it's fairly simple. You'll need:

Soldering iron
Solder
Solder sucker or solder wick
Thermal grease
New LED beads.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're comfortable soldering, it's fairly simple. You'll need:

Soldering iron
Solder
Solder sucker or solder wick
Thermal grease
New LED beads.
Do you have any recommendations on what spectrums to change out? And where to get the diodes?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced some before, however why are you wanting to change spectrum? Most of these haveore white than most like to view.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced some before, however why are you wanting to change spectrum? Most of these haveore white than most like to view.
I am looking for better growth, from what I found researching 6500k whites are very good for it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy with my current fixtures...SBReef Lights Basic. Here's the makeup of theirs:

SB Reef Lights LED layout.jpg

According to their website, 450 and 420 blues are important. Check the info HERE.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest choosing a spectrum you like to view. The growth benefits of particular spectrums do not seem consistent amoung coral species - that is some grow faster under different spectrums and even then I don't think we have conclusive evidence of what spectrum for what species and the growth gained by switching. It seems more a point for arguing with other hobbiests than anything!

The intensity of the light (par) is probably going to play a much larger role. Also flow and chemistry are going to have much greater impact to growth than spectrum ime.

I would also consider feeding the coral size appropriate foods. Many scientific studies have clearly shown amazing growth increases with feeding. Baby brine shrimp for sps.

Just food for thought. Compared to the above change in spectrum I don't think will provide significant growth changes and certainly not with all species of coral.

You could also just run the blue channel a bit lower unless you are not getting the PAR you want running all at 100%

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest choosing a spectrum you like to view. The growth benefits of particular spectrums do not seem consistent amoung coral species - that is some grow faster under different spectrums and even then I don't think we have conclusive evidence of what spectrum for what species and the growth gained by switching. It seems more a point for arguing with other hobbiests than anything!

The intensity of the light (par) is probably going to play a much larger role. Also flow and chemistry are going to have much greater impact to growth than spectrum ime.

I would also consider feeding the coral size appropriate foods. Many scientific studies have clearly shown amazing growth increases with feeding. Baby brine shrimp for sps.

Just food for thought. Compared to the above change in spectrum I don't think will provide significant growth changes and certainly not with all species of coral.

You could also just run the blue channel a bit lower unless you are not getting the PAR you want running all at 100%
What white and blue spectrum is best for viewing in your opinion?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen and researched. You need to lose two of those reds and change them to 420nm. Make almost all the blues 445 to 455 nm blues and throw in some more 420nm. Honestly I would only leave about 2 to 4 of the 470s they make the tank look like windex in my opinion and growth is better under royal blues and violets.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience changing the spectrum on their Chinese black box led light? I’ve read online that blue lights around 450nm and 10k white lights are best for coral growth? I was also wondering if I need to get rid of the red and green and yellow led’s. If I take them out should I replace them with blues or whites?

Here is a diagram of my current spectrum.

DF3B24D4-DE7D-4654-B86D-4060EB0EEA0D.png
Remove 6 whites and replace them with 440-450 blues, remove the 6 3000k and replace them with 1400k, remove 2 reds and replace with 410-420 uv.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, does anyone know where to buy the led lights? And should I buy Cree led?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about it being available. Not that I want anyone to forget it. LOL!

It's a viable alternative for those who happen to have a black box and don't want to solder in LEDs to get a better spectrum.

:D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back