Chateo and temp?

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, but...does anybody know if it can get cold? My sump stopped working so I had to rely on a HOB instead for a day...the chaeto got a little cold in the sump just with my basement temperature in the winter. Wouldn't it turn totally white if it's dead? I've seen that before.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, but...does anybody know if it can get cold? My sump stopped working so I had to rely on a HOB instead for a day...the chaeto got a little cold in the sump just with my basement temperature in the winter. Wouldn't it turn totally white if it's dead? I've seen that before.
I’d throw a little heater in there if you have one. It should be fine at 65 degrees for a little while I wouldn’t prolong anything less for more than a 6-12 hours

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d throw a little heater in there if you have one. It should be fine at 65 degrees for a little while I wouldn’t prolong anything less for more than a 6-12 hours
Huh, ok. Thanks, didn't mean to hijack the thread but I didn't want to post a thread just for that question! Yeah hopefully it didn't drop too much...it is fixed now so it only had to deal with that for about a day or a bit less since I eventually did throw a heater in there. If it's dead it'll start turning white, right?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is at 76 normally and the sump might be a little cooler; maybe approx. 75-76. Somebody said 76 is a minimum. Anybody know the temp range for chaeto?

I notice it does seem to be turning a little white...not totally but it's not totally green either. Could it have entered into some kind of dormancy or is this just the beginning of the end?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's quite a big ball...I guess I have to wait and hope it comes back from this.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back