chcgregg's 41G Sumpless SPS Dominant Reef Build

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

As we all know, reefing is an addiction, and the urge to resist having more tanks is weak for most of us, especially me. So to start 2020 off, and failing one resolution immediately, I am starting another reef aquarium, but this time with a twist. I am going sumpless. Why? Because I can't be bothered drilling the glass for an overflow and I already have all the equipment needed to run a setup like this. Plus my sump on my other aquarium will overflow given a power outage (...I should invest in emergency shut off solenoids...)

The aquarium measures 91x38x45cm (3x1.25x1.5ft), and is 155 litres (41 gallons). It's an odd size, but that is what was available at my LFS for cheap. And I like the challenge of maintaining such a small water volume.

The Equipment:
  • Seachem Tidal 110 Hang on Back Filter
  • Tunze Comline DOC 9001 Skimmer (a bit small, but will be fine for low bioload)
  • 2x Kamoer WIFI single dosing pumps
  • Aqua One Auto Top Off
  • 200w Heater
  • 6x39W T5 fixture (unbranded, but works great) 2xBlue Plus, 1xPurple, 2xCoral Plus, 1xActinic
On my other system which is behind this tank, I have an apex connected up to it, so as time goes on I will be regulating the heater with another temp probe. The lights will be controlled by the Apex. I have plenty of dry rock which will aid in the filtration of the water. The Tidal filter will be filled with Matrix and Carbon. A for flow, I have a few spare wave makers, but will need to make sure they are up to scratch.

The main thing with this tank will be maintaining stability, good water quality, and husbandry. As long as those three are kept in check, I only hope for success! It will be SPS dominant, with a big focus on branching and plating growth habits. I hope you enjoy this build, as much as I will enjoy filling it and growing some pretty nice corals (I am remaining optimistic) :)

Kind regards,
Callan

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are optimistic right along with you! Looking forward to seeing what you have going on now. Photos are golden.

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are optimistic right along with you! Looking forward to seeing what you have going on now. Photos are golden.

Hi @P-Dub!

Here is my current system, I actually have an experiment thread where I'm testing over 6 months the effects of supplementing an LED system with incandescent lighting (60w heat lamp) to provide infrared wavelengths which are absent in my LED lighting. (Link is in my signature if you are interested)
20200104_090350.jpg

And here is the sumpless system, which sits behind the main system.

20200104_090421.jpg

And next to that is a little frag tank with a 150w 20k halide for lighting. Just a little experiment to see how acropora colour up in the same water under halide vs LED. Below is an A. tenius, one of the few in the halide frag tank. (Excuse the algae)
20200104_090728.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

sounds like a good set up. i like the less equipment approach. sometimes I think the more we throw equipment at a tank the more troubles it makes. Keep us posted

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

sounds like a good set up. i like the less equipment approach. sometimes I think the more we throw equipment at a tank the more troubles it makes. Keep us posted

I agree, I don't run a lot of equipment on my main system, and things are running smoothly! I do think I need more bioload to help with coral health though. But realistically good lighting, a good skimmer, and adequate filtration is all you need, of course ensuring water chemistry is kept stable.

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200107_112110.jpg

Rockwork is in and cycling in the tank. This is not the final layout of the rock, but just to see how much I have and if I need more. I think it is a good amount! The T5 light is only on to display the rock in this photo, it will be off the entire cycle.

The rock was soaked in bleach for a few months, and has been neutralized. This tank is still a far way off before having any corals or fish in it. I'll be supplementing ammonium sulfate to kick start the cycling, this is a method which has worked very well for me in the past. After the system is cycled, I'll be seeding it with a heap of coralline algae and other types if algae to have a head start of outcompeting nuisance algae. Only when the system is cycled and coralline is growing will the first corals be added.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back