Cheap but effective battery backup for your aquarium: Do you have one?

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 161 37.3%
  • NO

Votes: 249 57.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 5.1%

• Total voters

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida. I've had multiple power outages over my lifetime that lasted weeks to almost a month once.

I have battery powered air pumps , a giant UPS on each tank, and a gas powered generator.
Wow, longest power cut I have ever experienced was about 2 hours (I think) when I lived with my parents and that was about 20-25 years ago.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small UPS for the whole tank system to handle the weekly short power 'hiccups' (It seems like the local power company flips some sort of switch that causes a 1-2 second power blip almost every weekend morning sometime between 6-6:30 AM). I have a portable 3200 watt inverter generator and a hardwired transfer switch for longer power outages. I really need to figure out something for those in-between scenarios. :)

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this popped up today. I had an outage yesterday. Ecotech batteries didn't keep L1 pump going. (nothing goes right when power goes out). Fired up the Honda for 8 hours and the tank didn't skip a beat.

Also, last year I lost power for over a week. That prompted me to give away my crappy, very loud, generator. I bought a nice Honda, which is extremely quiet. My neighbors don't hear a thing. Money well spent

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Ecotech battery backup for my MP10's. It worked like a champ this winter during our rolling blackouts here in Texas.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you using an Apex and a UPS backup battery, be sure to follow the instructions in my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring to allow the Apex to detect when the power is out. It can be programmed to automatically turn off high-powered devices like heaters, lights, and pumps to preserve the battery life for water movement. It can also send you an alarm notification about the power failure if your Internet router is also plugged into UPS battery power.

See:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up for gyres, as well as a 2 x 5kw gen, small 1 kw generator, and 8 -10 cords of fire wood. Can't play around in the north east.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run one on return pumps at least. The 240 has one on the return and one circulation and another on heaters.

The new fish building will have multiple and a generator.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a battery for backup, but it wasn’t cheap. Well it wasn’t cheap to me, I bought a solar generator Bluetti 200p with three solar panels. Being I live where hurricanes and tropical storms result in loss of power for at least a week most seasons. Tired of gas generators. The noise all day and night, searching for gas, keeping multiple gas cans. The Bluetti will power a few important things in the house as well as my tanks.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one UPS powering a single powerhead. Plan to wire up more batteries at some point. Here in aussie land metro its super rare to get power outages, i cant even remember the last one maybe 3-4-5 years ago? Longest they are usually out is overnight, unless you live in areas that get affected badly by storms then maybe 2 days at the worst case.

I also live next to a bunnings so worst case i could go buy a generator, i dunno lol some back up is better then none right?

Defs not ready for an Apocalypse

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live out in the sticks so I have a UPS for the little stuff and a portable generator for longer outages. I also have a battery powered air pump which is a cheap and easy way to add water movement and aeration when needed.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a roll up, manual transfer generator covering key circuits in the house and also an APC UPS which I run the backup gen power through to keep it clean, during power outages.

Trx#250r1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Ecotech battery back up on my XL300. I have it setup to run two mp10s. I will say when doing maintenance the battery backup is kind of a pain. You need to unplug it from the controllers or the powerhead will resort to battery power.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. 1500 KV ups with external batteries. lasts at least 4 hours that i know of.

2. a portable 7500 watt generator for long power outages. I haven't had to use in the 2 years that I've had it so far.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back