Cheap but effective battery backup for your aquarium: Do you have one?

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 161 37.3%
  • NO

Votes: 249 57.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 5.1%

• Total voters

DrLazyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Namaste from India . I've got a 450 Ah home ups with two lead acid tubular batteries for power cuts, two more batteries in the pipeline for a 4 feet reef pumps and LEDs
Battery acids nasty though :')
But cooling is a bigger issue than flow in the tropics, so a diesel generator should work the chiller for emergencies
Although back in the day I just cranked the ol' rusties :D

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my plan:

My car and my car's battery running outside (so there's no exhaust fumes ;Dead)

PLUS

Jumper cables running from car to power a Power Inverter

PLUS

A heavy duty Power Inverter. Mines a 2500WATT. Inexpensive at Harbor Freight

PLUS

Extension cords running from Power Inverter to my tank and plug in only essential items, heater, pumps for water movement

The beauty of this setup is a car holds a LOT of gas and can sit and idle for days as you power the Inverter to keep your tank running

My setup costs roughly $150 -vs- generators usually costing a minimum of $500+

********VERSUS********

a gas powered generator you haven't started in 18mos. have fun with blisters on your right palm

Except that your car is not designed to be a power generator. Most automotive alternators are capable of producing about 2000 watts, but only at higher engine speeds. It may not even be capable of powering its own systems sitting in the driveway idling.

I'm not dismissing this idea out of hand, but there is much more to it than stated here.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened in Texas?

Skyfall.

Except that your car is not designed to be a power generator. Most automotive alternators are capable of producing about 2000 watts, but only at higher engine speeds. It may not even be capable of powering its own systems sitting in the driveway idling.

I'm not dismissing this idea out of hand, but there is much more to it than stated here.

People have powered their homes for several days with a 1000W inverter attached to a Prius 12V battery.

Dwarrior1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a ups set up for a pump in the display tank. It will last me about 3-4 hours. After that runs out I swap the battery with an extra car battery which will give me another 10 hours or so. On the other reef tanks I have several battery bubblers that I hook up. I plan to get a full home generator soon. The last time the power went out was this spring for about 2 days. After the batteries were drained for the ups I moved an extra bubbler to the display.

Where I live, there is usually at least one decent power outage a year that last more than an hour or two. I just moved into a new home so I really need to get that generator

Last edited:

Birthisel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term no big issues with frag tanks that stay oxygenated longer. Long term I can use my Prius or Tesla to power the tanks via inverters

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any power back up, but I do have battery powered air pumps. Looking into getting a generator soon I hope. I've already had to use the battery air pumps. Was soo happy I at least had those.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna happen. You will lose power at some point. MOST of us will never experience a catastrophic power outage where we lose our whole reef tank but preparing and mitigating can sure give you peace of mind and offer assurance IF it did happen. But do we have to have a super expensive home generator in place or can we protect our tank inhabitants with simple battery backups? Let's talk about it today!

YES a generator is best but let's talk batteries!

1. What is a cheap but effective battery backup solution for your aquarium?

2. Do you have a battery backup plan in place and if so tell us what?

image via @dactylo
DSC02156.JPG
How about givi g us a guidw to make that one. Sweet looking plug amd play.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened in Texas?
Feb 2021 Ice Storm

TX temperatures got cold, wind turbines owned by power company/ies did not have heaters, wind turbines wouldn't turn to generate needed electricity and state of TX endured rolling power outages for week.

Our home insurance just renewed and no longer covers freeze damage, but we had almost no damage and no claims. Know many were not so lucky.

claudio wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna happen. You will lose power at some point. MOST of us will never experience a catastrophic power outage where we lose our whole reef tank but preparing and mitigating can sure give you peace of mind and offer assurance IF it did happen. But do we have to have a super expensive home generator in place or can we protect our tank inhabitants with simple battery backups? Let's talk about it today!

image via @dactylo
DSC02156.JPG

claudio wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @dactylo
DSC02156.JPG
I have a No Break used to run circulation pump for 4 hrs... no protection for the return pump and no protection for the heater, and this just became an issue this winter. It is an apartment here, so no generator is really possible.

a.ndre_s_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120 gallon SPS tank I have a 18ah battery in a Vortech Mp40.

On my 12 gallon softie nano, I have a battery air pump hooked to a relay that turns the pump on in case of a power outage.
This one I only install in the tank when away for long periods.
335489ED-1F60-4B01-A91B-AD80EDD15FF3.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back