cheap but "elegant" way to drill/plumb an overflow on rimmed tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to figure out how to do the overflow for my 20 gallon rimmed tank. I just can't seem to figure out a way that is both affordable and attractive. If the tank were rimless I would just drill a hole as high as possible and use a bulkhead strainer. . . would cost like 3 dollars, but doing this on a rimmed tank would cause the water level to drop below the rim of the tank, and I don't want to do that.

There are some premade overflow boxes on BRS, however, they are all like $100 plus. . .

I could drill just under the rim and add a 90 degree elbow angled up to set the water level, but not sure I like this idea. . . what are your thoughts?

Could buy a cheapo overflow from eBay, but not sure the quality?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit of a pre-made overflow setup is the ease of doing a more reliable overflow configuration like a herbie 2 pipe or bean animal 3 pipe design.

If the more reliable design is not of value for you and you don't mind the extra noise from a strainer type overflow, then I would just silicone in a cheap ebay one. Acrylic is acrylic, so if all you want is something to get the water level right, the ebay ones are good enough for that.

Personally, after seeing how sleek and effective my Modular Marine ghost overflow is on my newest build, I will never go back to the more inexpensive corner overflow or standard overflow box. Well worth the money IMO.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something like this:

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about something like this:
I do like that in out overflow, but think I would run into the same issue with the water level falling below the rim.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does this plumbing sound?

Drill 3 3/4” bulkheads, two on one side and one on the other. Then use a street elbow on the two overflows, one of which will be trimmed down to set the water level, other will be the emergency overflow. And the other bulkhead will be used as the return? Probably at a gate valve to the overflow.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this plumbing sound?

Drill 3 3/4” bulkheads, two on one side and one on the other. Then use a street elbow on the two overflows, one of which will be trimmed down to set the water level, other will be the emergency overflow. And the other bulkhead will be used as the return? Probably at a gate valve to the overflow.
Sounds pretty clean as long as you can make the cut look good on the primary drain elbow.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to add a premade/purchased overflow box this is your best option, and probably only adds 60 cents to your original $3 estimation.

Imo it's "more elegant" Then just doing a strainer into the side because you have no control at that point. Over height and chances are if you put it up close enough to the top for it to be effective it would also be pulling air.
I could drill just under the rim and add a 90 degree elbow angled up to set the water level, but not sure I like this idea. . . what are your thoughts

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back