Cheap frags collectors post

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the talk about the high cost of corals and equipment I’m going to share my systems to show what $5-$10 frags (an occasional $20) can do. Many of my frags were super tiny to keep cost down but I don’t mind waiting longer to save a little. I’ll share my compete set up which I consider fairly inexpensive and how I keep maintenance cost down. (I do have a taste for high end corals, we’ll get to that later.)

Please share your FTS or top downs if you too have what’s considered mid-low end corals. Let’s show off what out cheap tiny frags can turn into.

This is a top down from one side of my 90g display that I started 3 years ago. All corals picked up from Frag events , LFS and meeting up with others from R2R. Been a few coral wars I’m trying to control lately lol.
22561E22-7C62-4BCD-9566-60BE0100BC5F.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the talk about the high cost of corals and equipment I’m going to share my systems to show what $5-$10 frags (an occasional $20) can do. Many of my frags were super tiny to keep cost down but I don’t mind waiting longer to save a little. I’ll share my compete set up which I consider fairly inexpensive and how I keep maintenance cost down. (I do have a taste for high end corals, we’ll get to that later.)

Please share your FTS or top downs if you too have what’s considered mid-low end corals. Let’s show off what out cheap tiny frags can turn into.

This is a top down from one side of my 90g display that I started 3 years ago. All corals picked up from Frag events , LFS and meeting up with others from R2R. Been a few coral wars I’m trying to control lately lol.
22561E22-7C62-4BCD-9566-60BE0100BC5F.jpeg

Beautiful tank.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My personal favorites in the 90. A Garf Bonsai and Red Hot Setosa both are inexpensive, hardy coral fast growing sps.
1640D5B8-1106-4860-8E53-0AA0DDE9378F.jpeg

Encrusting corals make up the majority of my coral wars but every now and then two encrusted will live in harmony and thrive together. Here’s a Jason Fox Jack’O and WWC HULK Lepto I picked up at a RaP 2 years back.
0A8EECC2-C286-49AC-9550-2A1261DDAB15.jpeg

My SPS don’t need additional food sources or trace elements to survive and grow however I do see noticeable growth spurts when I do.

Every now and then I’ll splurge and get a bottle of Acro Power when it goes on sale at my LFS. (Same with FUEL but I’ll get to zoas later). I dose very minimal , only 25% of what’s recommended and my sticks show noticeable growth pretty fast.

I feed my Blue Hippo a large piece of Nori every day and in return the hippo graciously poops (hopefully) in the high flow area allowing the food to get dispersed throughout the tank. That’s a huge food source in itself for my SPS and the only consistent feeding I do. I will feed fresh, frozen and pellets on any given day or not and skip a few but always Nori.

Here’s the Nori I get from a local Asian market store. It’s $8.00 and last about 4 mont
00F6A9BB-730D-4F71-8E7F-629FA7AF8963.jpeg
hs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back