Cheap lighting

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best lighting for $100? I know that’s not much to work with but I want to keep my set up relatively cheap. Corals I want are mushrooms acans zoas and hammers. I was looking at the current USA

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all depends- what size tank are you trying to light? I tend not to like current USA myself, but depending on the tank size, it can work for your softies and LPS.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best lighting for $100? I know that’s not much to work with but I want to keep my set up relatively cheap. Corals I want are mushrooms acans zoas and hammers. I was looking at the current USA
Visparspectra 165W.....cheap, works, not complicated......125 ish.
You would need one for each 24” Cube Area.

A4A07E41-A32C-4E5B-A891-2DDED72268AA.jpeg

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a mars aqua 300w available this week for 150 shipped. Bought new and used for less than 3 months. Great condition

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read upon black boxes. You should find at least several option that should work.

OP
OP
D

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone who suggested lights. I probably should have mentioned that I don’t want a black box due to hanging requirements. Anything else?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be hard pressed to find something for 100... but check out the marketplace here, you may be able to find good deals on kessil, primes, and gen 2/3 radions.

Edit: heres a good deal on great lgihts for the tank.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t go cheap on lights, you won’t be happy and this is not a hobby to be cheap in. It’s said the average reefer buys the same Thing 3 times over instead of once from being cheap. Not saying you need the best but quality branded lights go a long way. Id recommend a kessil a160

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? And do your fish like the clay pot? Who did you buy the Ocean Revive from?
Red planet acro
Pavona
Green birdsnest
Candycane
Xenia
GSP
1 head frogspawn
Kenya tree
Palythoa
Green Monti cap

They feel at home in the clay pot. I kept these clowns in an acclimation box inside my 120 for several months after they finished QT. I kept a pvc T and this pot in the box with them. When I transferred them to the 29 gallon reef I put the clay pot in also since they were already familiar with it. They took right to it and stay close to it just like they would an anemone. If you don’t give them a choice then they choose what’s available. At least that’s how I believe it to be.

I ordered the Ocean Revive from Amazon or eBay a few years ago. I just did an eBay search and they are still available for around $175.

In the picture the lights are set at 100% blues (channel 1) and 20% whites (channel 2). Also used the orange filter from my Reefing Art lens set on an iPhone 11 Pro.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planet acro
Pavona
Green birdsnest
Candycane
Xenia
GSP
1 head frogspawn
Kenya tree
Palythoa
Green Monti cap

They feel at home in the clay pot. I kept these clowns in an acclimation box inside my 120 for several months after they finished QT. I kept a pvc T and this pot in the box with them. When I transferred them to the 29 gallon reef I put the clay pot in also since they were already familiar with it. They took right to it and stay close to it just like they would an anemone. If you don’t give them a choice then they choose what’s available. At least that’s how I believe it to be.

I ordered the Ocean Revive from Amazon or eBay a few years ago. I just did an eBay search and they are still available for around $175.

In the picture the lights are set at 100% blues (channel 1) and 20% whites (channel 2). Also used the orange filter from my Reefing Art lens set on an iPhone 11 Pro.
Thank you for this! I think you have it on a 32 gal? I looked at your build thread so was not sure. Are you happy enough with the Ocean Revive that you are glad you didn't buy Prime 16's? Would it work on a 40 gal breeder? Is it quiet?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! I think you have it on a 32 gal? I looked at your build thread so was not sure. Are you happy enough with the Ocean Revive that you are glad you didn't buy Prime 16's? Would it work on a 40 gal breeder?

I have several tanks set up. My build thread is of the fish room build.

It’s an old Marineland 29 gallon I bought over 10 years ago from PetSmart.
For a 40 breeder it’d probably need 2 of them for complete coverage. Here’s a pic I have of it over my 4’ 120 gallon.
DB592390-C886-4F29-A289-50CFCA63F676.jpeg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! I think you have it on a 32 gal? I looked at your build thread so was not sure. Are you happy enough with the Ocean Revive that you are glad you didn't buy Prime 16's? Would it work on a 40 gal breeder? Is it quiet?
I was only using it temporarily over the 120 while my Current USA lights were on the way. Could have got a little better spread mounting the light inside the hood but still would have needed 2. Plus it was only for fish and no coral in this aquarium.

I think I heard somewhere that you need one for each 2 feet of tank length but could be wrong about that.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to leave this here... Saltwater Aquarium Lighting Guide
Essentially, if you plan to do corals, you may want to save a bit more. UNLESS, you are open to T5/MH. I really like T5 lights, and I've used 6 bulb units that grow coral with no problem! The bulbs are about $25 each though... Used Radion G2s maybe?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back