Cheato and Amino Acids

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not luck in the Triton Forum. Anyone here know this answer to this one?

Does Cheato release aminos while growing or only when it dies off? I originally let my cheato grow and die off with available nutrients per Triton method recommendation but that became a messy affair and clogged my power heads and reactor. With regular trimming and nitrate dosing I'm thinking I can keep a nice clean fuge with constantly growing Cheato (so far so good); but, am I losing any positive byproducts (aminos) by not letting it go through the natural grow / die off cycle?
Should I dose aminos if I'm not letting the cheato ever die off partially? And is there any risk of dosing aminos in a no water change tank?

Thanks

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is more complex than the question. All photosynthetic organisms, as a byproduct, produce DOC. The DOC of coral is rich in proteins & amino acids. The DOC of macro is rich in carbohydrates.

@CMO
Does that help with your quest?

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is more complex than the question. All photosynthetic organisms, as a byproduct, produce DOC. The DOC of coral is rich in proteins & amino acids. The DOC of macro is rich in carbohydrates.

@CMO
Does that help with your quest?

A bit, but I'm still pretty confused on the matter. Sounds like you understand this stuff pretty good - so if you were in my shoes, would you dose aminos? Why or why not?

Thanks

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We operate differrent nutrient management styles.

I would not rely on macro for amino acids. Macro is messy to give up amino acids.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
A bit, but I'm still pretty confused on the matter. Sounds like you understand this stuff pretty good - so if you were in my shoes, would you dose aminos? Why or why not?

Thanks

I appreciate the frankness. This is your thread, let us make it work for you. I see where you are using the Triton Method to maintain SPS.

I just took a basic crash course on Triton Method. It seems as if you are locked into testing and using their bulk supplies.

Is dosing amino acids part of the Triton Method?
[Amino acids can easily deplete in reef aquarium systems through protein skimmers and ultra low nutrient systems. Replenish amino acids for colorful and healthy corals. Amino Acids are required by corals to help aid in the process of breaking down food, helping produce necessary energy.]

@CMO
Because of your choice to go with an ultra low nutrient management system, you should put back what coral needs.
For the technical question of which DOC is available when chaeto is in differrent stages of growth, you need to talk with a scientist, @Scuba_Steve

I have been reefing for 48 years. I never got in your situation, because during those 48 years I never played SPS. As a “Laissez Faire” minimalistic reefkeeper, I always enjoyed watching my tanks and not working for them. I recently upgraded my biofiltration to include cryptic sponges. Biofiltration platform includes bacteria, algae and sponges. Previously, I used GAC to do what cryptic sponges do.

In reviewing the Triton Method, what removes DOC.?

Ken Felderman research articles at Advanced Aquaria compare nutrient management systems using DOC as control parameter:

Protein skimming at best removes 35% of DOC
GAC removes 65% of DOC
Biofiltration removes > 50% od DOC

Protein skimmers remove mostly bacteria, which in my nutrient management system is food for coral as discribed by “microbial loop” and nutrient recycling.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea Those tanks look great! Before this tank I had softy only tanks like yours so can certainly appreciate them.

I think I'm starting to understanding. I'm always leary of dosing something I don't understand, especially into a no water change system. Based on what you said above and reading back through the Triton literature that indicates aminos etc. are release upon the algea dying back (which my goal now is to not let happen), sounds like dosing some aminos might be beneficial. Sounds like there's little risk of them really building up and causing issue since they are used by corals / removed by filtration quickly; especially since I'm really struggling to get any nitrate readings whatsoever. I've started nitrate dosing which has done wonders for my SPS in under 2 weeks now (color dramatically improved).

Aminos are not contained in the Triton formulas nor recommended to be dosed since the Triton recommendation is to let algea die off provide this. I had a big die off recently as my cheato literally consumed all available nutrients (nitrate to .00) which was really messy and no fun. Not letting that happen again.

upload_2018-8-16_9-32-37.png

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thinking is on target. I see no harm with dosing amino acid. I consider amino to be a building block for everything. Expect your nitrogen consumption to go up as things grow. IMO, coral is more efficient at processing nutrients than macro. I dose ammonia everyday in my systems.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started dosing aminos my SPS that had burnt ends covered those ends with flesh and other months that had stopped growing for weeks started growing again. My LPS corals are fluffy. Also my charro grows like a womans hair. Very fluffy. I swear by it now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea Those tanks look great! Before this tank I had softy only tanks like yours so can certainly appreciate them.

I think I'm starting to understanding. I'm always leary of dosing something I don't understand, especially into a no water change system. Based on what you said above and reading back through the Triton literature that indicates aminos etc. are release upon the algea dying back (which my goal now is to not let happen), sounds like dosing some aminos might be beneficial. Sounds like there's little risk of them really building up and causing issue since they are used by corals / removed by filtration quickly; especially since I'm really struggling to get any nitrate readings whatsoever. I've started nitrate dosing which has done wonders for my SPS in under 2 weeks now (color dramatically improved).

Aminos are not contained in the Triton formulas nor recommended to be dosed since the Triton recommendation is to let algea die off provide this. I had a big die off recently as my cheato literally consumed all available nutrients (nitrate to .00) which was really messy and no fun. Not letting that happen again.

upload_2018-8-16_9-32-37.png

@CMO
Amino acids are made when bacteria consume proteins. There are more than 20 amino acids of which 1/3 are plant proteins & 2/3 are animal protein.

Back