Cheato help

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by 40B Knasty, Nov 11, 2017.

1. 40B Knasty

40B Knasty Well-Known Member

So I have an old Seaclone Protein Skimmer that I converted into a cheato reactor/HOB refugium. It is powered by a maxi jet 1200. Now there is an air valve. My question is about which would be best to do with the air valve for the cheato.
    Would leaving the air valve closed be best or opening the air valve?
    Since there is cheato in chamber of the Seaclone. The water is unable to scrub the water with bubbles. Opening the air valve would just add more O² to the chamber the cheato sits in. I had a thought about it being to much O² and not enough CO², because the plant needs CO² and the good 4 red 1 blue ratio of LED lighting that I have wrapped around it to grow and absorb the phosphates. It has been phenomenal for my tank. The GHA is melting away. I can see the live rocks again. Just trying to keep up with every 3-4 day water changes for now so the GHA doesn't break down into nutrients and ammonia from die off which in turn would be feeding new GHA to grow.
    Or.. Would driving more O² through the chamber filled with cheato help with more gas exchange. Initially my goal is to have a higher pH after the GHA is at a bare minimum. With winter coming and temps dropping down to 24F° today. Leaving the windows open is no longer an option to keep the pH stable at an 8.2. Thanks for the help or if you want to brain storm it with me. Feel free to add your 2¢. Everything is a learning experience.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Tags:

2. 40B Knasty

Any reason?

3. 40B Knasty

4. 40B Knasty

Found out leaving it closed is best. They cheato is there to absorb CO².

Draft saved Draft deleted