Cheato in main tank

Saltfishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal tank, no sump,no fuge. Can I place a ball of cheato in my tank and hide it behind a rock to help tank?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it grows pretty quick too. But just make sure it’s free of any other pest macro or else your tank will turn into a refugium like mine did. Is cut mine in half frequently and kept turning it into a tight ball. Kept the outer layer and tossed the inner part each week.

OP
OP
S

Saltfishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it grows pretty quick too. But just make sure it’s free of any other pest macro or else your tank will turn into a refugium like mine did. Is cut mine in half frequently and kept turning it into a tight ball. Kept the outer layer and tossed the inner part each week.

Did you keep it hidden from view? High or low in the tank? Did you notice a difference in levels when u used it?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly mine had hitch hikers and now I have 6-7 other types of macros growing all over my rock. Can’t get rid of it either as my tanks are dedicated to anemones.

Yes it will reduce nitrates. There was a guy who had a 40 breeder many years ago on another nano forum that got me started with this idea. His name was GobyInPeace. Not sure if he is a member here but you should check that tank out.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have different requirements and efficiencies. Chaeto just tends to be efficient and easy to grow. It's ugly and not palatable to most fish, which doesnt matter when people use it in the refugium.
Some sites would have better information, you can browse through and see what might suite your wants!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep it in the DT, but it will fragment and end up on everything, rocks, pumps, corals.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I were you I would abandon this idea, because it will be ugly and feel weird. If you want something in your display I suggest caulerpa prolifera. It grows fast and never really melts. And looks decent. And stays off rocks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back